• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Emissions fail on mot test, W124

As a trained mechanic, I have always believed that if a car has a fault, be it something worn, broken, perished, cracked, seized, overheated, malfunctioned or failed in some other way, then that fault MUST be repaired properly. That means either replacing a component or repairing/ reconditioning it. Adding some liquid in the hope that you'll be saving a fortune is sheer fantasy, and best left to the sub 20 year olds who subscribe to the Halfords car culture (if you get my meaning).

Any comments would be appreciated

bubble124:(

I am not sub 20 and the wynss reducer worked for me. reduced co from 0.7 to 0.3.
But if your cat is totally past it, i guess it would not help.
As for repairing the car properly are you going to get a merc CAT which would cost over a grand? as your car may not be worth that?

No need to get all worked up, many have worked for me so if it does not work for you, maybe your car is past saving but generalising is not going to help.
if you have a flat tyre, you do not need to get a new one as some liquid puncture sealants work so " nothing but nothing works " is too much of a sweeping statement.
advice is to get an after market CAT if that is your problem and maybe check your A/F mixtures. have you got a MAF?

Last edited:
When I said I'll repair the car properly, I meant changing whatever component is at fault. I often use replacement/non-genuine parts for all my vehicles (I have 4, not all of them Mercedes).

Fitting replacement parts is a "proper repair", even if those parts are sourced from suppliers other than a franchised dealer. Remember that car manufacturers don't actually make every component, many being made for them as I'm sure many of you are aware. Examples being Bosch, LUK, Varta, Textar, Bilstein, to name a few.

In this particular and many similar cases I've found, from experience, that additions to the fuel, coolant or lubrication systems seldom work for me. If, however, anyone has had a more positive experience then certainly they'll be encouraged to go down that route, why not?

As for sub 20 year olds, I was also one of them once (approx. 30 years ago) and have nothing against them. Its the "Halfords" car culture that I was referring to which at best is clever marketing.

Hope this clears thing up somewhat.

bubble124;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom