• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Optimistic Garage?

Shame they didn't paint it white, Peter Jarvis could buy it and park it next to the white 107.

I do like the G but for the same money I got a Land Cruiser Troop Carrier.

Definitely appreciating in value. There aren't many decent ones available at the moment, unless of course you go for a newer model and fork out £40k+!

It's a Mystery

Why anyone would pay 6 times the money for what is essentially a decently specced LandRover Defender still continues to mystify me.

Why anyone would pay 6 times the money for what is essentially a decently specced LandRover Defender still continues to mystify me.

Interesting viewpoint. How brave are you? :devil: Post that on GWOA and see the responses you get. All backed up by science too....:D:D:D:D

Why anyone would buy a ML/RR/Q7/X5, which are essentially estate cars on stilts, for a trip to sainsburys still continues to mystify me. :p :D

At the risk of getting flamed, aren't these huge 4x4 type cars just a kind of fashion statement? I mean, how many of these 'offroaders' actually get used for that purpose? Also, perhaps they appeal to the macho crew?

Perhaps they make sense in some countries where the roads are abysmal, but the UK?

Mind you, our roads are getting pretty dire due to the white global warming that seems to fall with increasing regularity these days... :-D

At the risk of getting flamed, aren't these huge 4x4 type cars just a kind of fashion statement? I mean, how many of these 'offroaders' actually get used for that purpose? Also, perhaps they appeal to the macho crew?

Perhaps they make sense in some countries where the roads are abysmal, but the UK?

Mind you, our roads are getting pretty dire due to the white global warming that seems to fall with increasing regularity these days... :-D

Have a look on YouTube and you'll see what the G's can do.

I don't know where you live, but in my part of the UK the roads really are pretty abysmal:mad:

I get RR, I don't get G Wagon, which appears to be Defender style for RR money :dk:.

For sure they are. Mine's worth a fair bit more now than I paid for it four years ago.

Agreed. I had put mine up for sale a few months back. Received many enquiries and a few offers but I'm swaying towards just keeping now. It's a beast of a machine!

I get RR, I don't get G Wagon, which appears to be Defender style for RR money :dk:.

By RR I guess you mean Rolls Royce :D Old G's cost a lot more than old Range Rovers.

Edit: Be honest, you have to live with it to "get it", but once you have got it, it gets you!!

I get the point of a G Wagen absolutely, marvellous bits of kit. However, having driven a 300D 12v W124, I can't get the point of that engine in a much heavier car, unless you are Robert Louis Stevenson, in which case you will travel hopefully and never arrive!

I get the point of a G Wagen absolutely, marvellous bits of kit. However, having driven a 300D 12v W124, I can't get the point of that engine in a much heavier car, unless you are Robert Louis Stevenson, in which case you will travel hopefully and never arrive!

Agreed. Minimum is a 300 petrol. Better is 300 petrol with twin turbo, a decent turbo diesel or a 500 V8. What MB were thinking of with some of the engines they put in, I just don't know.

I flirted very strongly with buying a G-Wagen and doing some sort of mad conversion.

Then I drove one...:crazy:

Unless you're going to put a G-Wagen to work, I can't see the point of one; they're slow, horrible to drive and the interior is sparse. I even went to test drive a 'new' G350 CDi with my friend (I was dragged along because "you know about Mercs, don't you") and after test driving it, we both found it frankly hilarious that someone would be willing to pay £75k for that vehicle.

But then again, I drive a Q7 4.2 TDi...

Great multipurpose off roader, had loads of bolt on options too.

Should never have reached the "Bling market" as it has done.

Last edited:
Oh, so you do shop at Sainsburys then!?!

We don't really shop at any one specific supermarket, we use old fashioned markets (local butchers and bakers etc) as much as we can, although Sainsbury's is actually the nearest supermarket to us. :D

I think the Q7 is probably the worse example of what people hate about 4x4's but I couldn't give as flying ****, I drive whatever I want and to hell with what people say!

It's the people that buy proper off-road 4x4's like G-Wagens and LR Defenders but yet hardly ever take them proper off-roading that make me laugh, the Q7's and ML's of this world are at least honest about their intentions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom