• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Optimistic Garage?

At the risk of getting flamed, aren't these huge 4x4 type cars just a kind of fashion statement? I mean, how many of these 'offroaders' actually get used for that purpose? Also, perhaps they appeal to the macho crew?

Perhaps they make sense in some countries where the roads are abysmal, but the UK?

Mind you, our roads are getting pretty dire due to the white global warming that seems to fall with increasing regularity these days... :-D

I Know of quite a few 4x4's that get used properly all over the world. I have prepared many and owned quite a lot. Including some G's and ML's. No an Ml cant compete with a G (with equal drivers) when off road but they are still good. G wagens are not that bad to drive. If you started out long distance traveling in 40 series Land Cruisers and series 3 Land Rovers and then moved to a Defender or G they would feel very inviting and even a bit 'car like'

Even though a G will never be my first choice of all terrain conveyance I do understand why people like them and hang on to them for so many years.

It's the people that buy proper off-road 4x4's like G-Wagens and LR Defenders but yet hardly ever take them proper off-roading that make me laugh, the Q7's and ML's of this world are at least honest about their intentions...

Wow that's niche within niche.....I have a Chelsea tractor but because it is so obviously a Chelsea tractor its ok, but those with a 4x4 are really getting above their station.

Or maybe the don't give a rat's ar#e either.

Or maybe they do use their 4x4 to go off-road but because you are always in Sainsbury's car park you don't see it...

Wow that's niche within niche.....I have a Chelsea tractor but because it is so obviously a Chelsea tractor its ok, but those with a 4x4 are really getting above their station..
The G-Wagens and LR Defenders of this world are that hideous to drive, the only reason to drive/own one would be to put it to work.

Unless of course these people simply like to look as though they put these vehicles to their intended use. I have a couple of friends with 'work' 4x4 vehicles that attempt to take the piss out of the Q7 because 'those 21" rims would be no good in mud' etc when I know that it will never go off-road so why should I care whether it'll drive through six foot of water.

Or maybe they do use their 4x4 to go off-road but because you are always in Sainsbury's car park you don't see it.

Errr... I don't shop at Sainsbury's.

You know, like I said in the post that you snipped...

Well spx I am sorry, none intended, but it tickled me to see someone defend their 4x4 purchase decision because they just liked the car only to then denigrate someone else's choice of 4x4.

To each their own.

Having had two MLs and an old g I can see the attractions in each (and for that matter I imagine in an x5, q7 etc etc).

Well spx I am sorry, none intended, but it tickled me to see someone defend their 4x4 purchase decision because they just liked the car only to then denigrate someone else's choice of 4x4.
No offence taken, I was pretty certain what you meant (and I agree to a greater extent) but it's the hypocrisy from both 'sides' that bothers me; the ar5eholes that think because they've got a big and shiney 4x4 that they can bully other people off the road and those that look down their nose at the 'Chelsea tractors/soft roaders' because they are useless off-road!

It seems to me that the average 4x4 - soft roader or off-roader - is a waste of space made flesh (well, all right, metal) in every sense of the phrase.

If you actually NEED one, it's the tool for the job, and I have no beef with that.

If you drive one because you like it, well, wouldn't life be dull if we all liked the same things?

If you drive one because they're fashionable, you need to get a life - a different life (and give me all that spare money you won't need...).

If you drive one to make a statement, believe me, the statement most people (well, I, anyway) perceive you to be making is very different from the one YOU think you are making...

Last edited:
It seems to me that the average 4x4 - soft roader or off-roader - is a waste of space made flesh (well, all right, metal) in every sense of the phrase.

If you actually NEED one, it's the tool for the job, and I have no beef with that.

If you drive one because you like it, well, wouldn't life be dull if we all liked the same things?

If you drive one because they're fashionable, you need to get a life - a different life (and give me all that spare money you won't need...).

If you drive one to make a statement, believe me, the statement most people (well, I, anyway) perceive you to be making is very different from the one YOU think you are making...

Rather nicely put, sir. Sorry I did not articulate it in the same way.

No offence taken, I was pretty certain what you meant (and I agree to a greater extent) but it's the hypocrisy from both 'sides' that bothers me; the ar5eholes that think because they've got a big and shiney 4x4 that they can bully other people off the road and those that look down their nose at the 'Chelsea tractors/soft roaders' because they are useless off-road!

I think we may have been on the same page after all.....

Obviously they've been watching far too much Wheeler Dealers! The G Is a great truck, but I wouldn't pay anything like that figure for a one of that age unless it was completely showroom condition. But I needn't worry as I don't have £18k!!

Yup , great thread revival , nearly 10 years . Not a record , but not bad.

G wagen prices are dropping according to these guys .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom