Origin Of This Fuel Filter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee44

Car
C250 CDi AMG Sport
Hello all

Admittedly I've tried asking this question elsewhere but sadly no luck so far.

Please can someone on here with the knowledge be able to tell me from the identity numbers / logo's on this fuel filter if it's the original OEM one fitted at factory from new. Or is it an after market one fitted since?

And / or.. Is there anyway of establishing a date it was manufactured from those numbers upon? As this may help its origin.
Pics attached.

2018 GLC 250d

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20210917_161536_HDR.jpg
    20210917_161536_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 20210917_161549_HDR.jpg
    20210917_161549_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
If you don't see an MB stamp logo then it's an aftermarket part.

That's a Bosch logo. I have not seen seen Bosch filters with MB Part Numbers on them, all those I've seen so far were made by other manufacturers (Mann etc). As noogieman said, a genuine MB part will have the tri-pointed star logo and an MB part number (A 000 123 45 67). So it would seem that this filter is an aftermarket one. Are you trying to establish whether your 3 years old car was serviced by a main dealer so far? As far as I know the fuel filter only need changing every 4 years?

Last edited:
Thanks for speedy response guys, appreciate it.

I have heard that MB have / do use Bosch fuel filters from time to at factory from new build. I don't know how true this is.

Now here's why I want to know..
I want to be careful what I say and not to bad press someone if it's not correct. Also baring in mind they will probably view these forums. I just want to be fair and find some answers before I took it further.

I recently took it to an indi for a service.
Like most I like to check the work has been done properly..
I first checked the airbox (pic attached).
I'd only drove 3miles back before checking. Pic shows what I found in bottom of airbox, with cheap new filter just plonked on top of the debris - charged £45 for cheap airfilter!?

So this led me to check the fuel filter which I was charged £75 for.
The original pics are of the fuel filter but I was concerned as it looks all scratched and doesn't have a new appearance.

I've had the car from new but never looked at fuel filter befure until now.

Attachments

• 20210918_105244_HDR.jpg
    20210918_105244_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20210918_105306_HDR.jpg
    20210918_105306_HDR.jpg
    665.3 KB · Views: 16
Thanks for speedy response guys, appreciate it.

I have heard that MB have / do use Bosch fuel filters from time to at factory from new build. I don't know how true this is.

Now here's why I want to know..
I want to be careful what I say and not to bad press someone if it's not correct. Also baring in mind they will probably view these forums. I just want to be fair and find some answers before I took it further.

I recently took it to an indi for a service.
Like most I like to check the work has been done properly..
I first checked the airbox (pic attached).
I'd only drove 3miles back before checking. Pic shows what I found in bottom of airbox, with cheap new filter just plonked on top of the debris - charged £45 for cheap airfilter!?

So this led me to check the fuel filter which I was charged £75 for.
The original pics are of the fuel filter but I was concerned as it looks all scratched and doesn't have a new appearance.

I've had the car from new but never looked at fuel filter befure until now.

As said, if the fuel filter does not have the MB part number and logo on it, then it isn't the original item that came with the car from the factory. And on a 3-years old car, it is unlikely to have been replaced before the current service.

A new filter can have a scratched appearance if it is handled roughly, or the garage may have fitted a used filter - I do not know. But either way, I would say that on the balance of probabilities, the fuel filter has been replaced by the garage.

The air filter does look new, what make is it?

As for your complaints.... to my mind, the core issue isn't the type of filters used, but the fact that you have entrusted your car to the hands of someone that you don't actually trust.... I don't check work done by garages I use, because I only use garages I trust.

I am not being condescending here, many years ago one of my clients was a large garage, and I saw what was going on there (the owner was an honest man, but with over 30 staff he was struggling to keep on top of what went out of stores and how it was used). My conclusion was - long time ago - that mechanics will always be better than you in this game, and no matter how closely you will scrutinise their work, if they are dishonest, then they will find a way to con you.

When I take my car to Olly or Terry (both are forum sponsors) I just sit in the waiting area and work on my laptop... I only get under the car if/when they call me to show me something.

£75 sounds about right for a Bosch unit + fitting if the link above is what they are going for.

The scratches are likely due to fitting.

Bosch are reboxers of oil and air filters-made by third party-however they apparently make their own fuel filters

Markjay - Thanks for detailed response.
Condescending not taken, I understand your comment about trust, however my circs are a little complex. I cannot drive far due to injuries, so my options in garages are sparse really. It's either the Stealership or here. Plus, nothing wrong with checking things over making sure all is in order and asking questions, especially when it's your own cash you're spending on something. Sometimes it's peace of mind checking things. Or the well known saying.. "Trust no-one" ; )

Thanks

Thanks all for replying
I'll take it they changed the fuel filter. I'll park that now.
That scratty debris in bottom of airbox is a let down though haha ; )
Just lazy that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom