Over and Under

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tricky? Hardly one to tax your brain...an otherwise empty motorway and you have to decide what to do...just do what you want over or under...who cares?

I said what I would do, just seems tricky for others as has been pointed out its quite common :dk:

Bellow said:
Having to ask if you should take the only legal and safe option begs the question of your aptitude to drive on the public roads.

My friend Dave also did 71 mph on a clear motorway once.

I carry on in the inside lane don't see why I should move to the third lane because some idiot thinks they own the middle lane
It is even worse on parts of the M1 and M25 where there are 4 lanes

Last edited:
I think we should get some car stickers printed up for them...Middle Lane Owners Club - we can always give them a wide berth then, no matter which lane we pick ;)

Cops around here call them clocers

Central Lane Occupiers Club

The good part is they Nick them for it

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

The reason I stay in my lane is because I think changing from lane 1 or to lane 4 is less safe than continuing.

I am aware that the driver might change into lane 1 but I am always prepared for that.

I've even done this with a cop car just behind me in lane 2, who had to overtake a lane-hogger in lane 3, who then pulled back in to lane 2 and carried on their way passing me.

Shame really, they could have pulled the lane-hogger given it is now against the law.

A few years ago I had to attend a two day driver training course, after a slight bump with a policeman in his own unmarked car and he called the traffic boys in, anyway I digress.

On the course we had to do a driving stint with an instructor, showed us how to drive fast around corner, etc with best views of the road ahead, 3rd gear is the best , but one of the things they told people was to drive in the lane they felt the safest in on any dual carriage way or motorway, it was also stated that straddling the lines if it gave the best view was the best.

If professional instructors are telling new drivers to do this we have no hope of better discipline on the motorways.

The Motorway should be a compulsory second stage to the test we currently have. I too have seen many people, and I have to say a lot of women recently do pull out again into the outside lane when there is nothing around them.

What happened to the Police prosecuting the middle lane hoggers for careless driving?

The correct way to navigate a bend

Information. What’s going on around you? Check your mirrors to work out the movements of other road users.

Position. After confirming it’s safe, take the best position for dealing with the bend. On a left-hand bend move closer to the centre line and on a right-hand bend closer to the kerb or verge, but stick to your lane. This will improve your view around the corner.

Speed. Adjust your speed to prepare for the corner.

Gears. Once you’re at the right speed, select the right gear. Adjust your speed early so that you have time to separate changing speed from changing gear.

Accelerate. Once you can see through the bend, accelerate smoothly if it is safe, bearing in mind the road conditions. Gently accelerating through a corner balances the car. If it’s slippery, hold your speed steady until you have straightened up.

Last edited:
Highway Code:268

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake.

In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

There is no grey area in this instance (OP post 1); with very light traffic, legally cannot pass on the inside. What we actually might do is another matter.

The middle lane is in fact the safest place to be when driving on a three-lane road... it allows the driver maximum time and space to react to anything that crosses into his/her path from either side, and it leaves room to manoeuvre in either direction when dealing with a gust of wind of sudden tyre failure etc. Put simply, it's driving on wider road. No wonder why some drivers feel more comfortable there. Of course it is not permissable, but my point is that those who occupy the middle lane do so for a reason and not necessarily absentmindedly.

Motorways are slightly different because having a wide hard shoulder means that drivers have the additional space required to deal with hazards crossing from their left even when driving in the inner lane.

Last edited:
As for passing on the left being dangerous... I don't see why it is more dangerous or less dangerous than passing on the right. In either case the passing driver is at risk from the other car changing lane unexpectedly. Passing on the left is allowed in slow traffic and when taking a slip road, and then the risk is the same as when passing a single vehicle.

I am in fact quite intrigued as to whether it is permissable to pass on the left without a manoeuvre. This has been the subject of several posts here in the past. I tend to agree with flango's trafpol friend, but it would be interesting to know for sure.

Undertake.

You're simply passing slower moving traffic whilst staying under the speed limit and sticking to the Highway Code. I do it all the time without any issues, legal or otherwise.

As for passing on the left being dangerous... I don't see why it is more dangerous or less dangerous than passing on the right. In either case the passing driver is at risk from the other car changing lane unexpectedly.

It's more dangerous because there's a greater chance that a slow moving driver will 'wake up' and move left into the correct lane than randomly decide to move right into the outside lane.

I am in fact quite intrigued as to whether it is permissable to pass on the left without a manoeuvre.

If you are driving in lane 3 and pass a slower vehicle in lane 2 that's called overtaking, yes? So staying in lane 1 to do the same is also overtaking.

The Highway Code says "Do not overtake on the left". It also says you mustn't move to a lane on your left in order to overtake - further reinforcing that overtaking is the simple act of passing. It's not defined by changing lane first.

A dictionary will also confirm this e.g.

"Overtake: Catch up with and pass while travelling in the same direction"

Of course what the Police choose to enforce (or not) is another matter. We know they're not going to stop you merely for doing 75 mph, even though that is also illegal.

please dont anyone take this the wrong way but whats the difference between undertake, and overtake?

merc85 said:
please dont anyone take this the wrong way but whats the difference between undertake, and overtake?
undertaking is when someone is passing you in the inner lane and overtaking is when someone is passing in the outer lane.

LOL long night its just i thought id read in this thread peeps refeering to undertaking on the inside is overtaking

Slingshot manoeuvre works well from experience. The sudden appearance of something in their rear view mirror going from left to right often wakes many mlh's from their 'slumber' and I often see them return to lane one just after passing them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom