Painting a faded glass fibre garage door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flying haggis

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS shooting brake, SWMBO has B class
As per title, my garage door has faded due to the elements taking their toll over the 30 odd years it has been in place. As I am currently restaining the wooden doors and windows that now makes the wood effect garage door look shabby compared to the tarted up woodwork. SO does anyone have any recommendations for stain/varnish that I could use on the door to make it look less faded. The woodwork is getting treated with Johnstone's Woodworks satin woodstain which is solvent based so I am actually tempted to just try this on the door. But of course if it didn't work..... A thought I did have is, what do boat builders use to refurbish fibreglass boat hulls?
Any thoughts gratefully received.

Try anti fouling, that’s what boat builders use 😂😂😂

My concern would that the fading equals oxidisation, and the paint might not adhere well or last on this sort of surface? No harm in trying though I guess.

How much would a new door be, if it 30 years plus already? :)

Maybe post a picture? The wood effect you mention on the door could be a surface finish or 'foil' ... if that has faded then painting over it might look worse than it is now. Boat hulls generally have a gloss surface finish (gel coat or paint) which can potentially be cut back / polished to refurbish (like fibreglass car bodies).

Time for an upgrade to an electric roller door. 😎

That thought has crossed my mind, but then that means finding a decent firm to do the job. It has been suggested that sometimes the commercial suppliers will do better deals. So if anyone knows a decent firm in norfolk/suffolk.........

That thought has crossed my mind, but then that means finding a decent firm to do the job. It has been suggested that sometimes the commercial suppliers will do better deals. So if anyone knows a decent firm in norfolk/suffolk.........
I’m sure I’ve seen this on offer for circa £1k, maybe they’ve gone up in price:

A colleague had one like this installed last year from a different firm and I’m sure it was around £1k or thereabouts, seems happy with it.

Easy for me to spend someone else’s money though! :D

If painting over it is the default, could you firstly try something like T-cut, (other similar products are available 🤫) to cut it back to the original?

Or take a look at the Detailing World forum, odds on someone on there could help.

I’m sure I’ve seen this on offer for circa £1k, maybe they’ve gone up in price:

A colleague had one like this installed last year from a different firm and I’m sure it was around £1k or thereabouts, seems happy with it.

Easy for me to spend someone else’s money though! :D
Had one of those Birkdale/Costco rollers installed a few months back - double size, we opted for white though other colours are available. All very straightforward, good installation (helpful to have Costco standing behind this) and we are happy with it - massive improvement on the old up-and-over. Would have to check but I think I paid about £2800.

Plenty of door restoration items at Amazon, not sure how good they are. Have you tried a car wax type product.

update. having used johnstones woodworks satin woodstain on the woodwork round the exterior of the house and thinking "its only a coloured varnish afterall" I tried it on a small corner of the garage door. Before it was a dull brown that definetly looked like it needed something doing. So being quite chuffed with the test patch I went for it on the whole door. Looks ok to me anyway

Attachments

• 20230907_174312_003.jpg
    20230907_174312_003.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230913_183221.jpg
    20230913_183221.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230913_183212.jpg
    20230913_183212.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 17
update. having used johnstones woodworks satin woodstain on the woodwork round the exterior of the house and thinking "its only a coloured varnish afterall" I tried it on a small corner of the garage door. Before it was a dull brown that definetly looked like it needed something doing. So being quite chuffed with the test patch I went for it on the whole door. Looks ok to me anyway
Fwiw, I would say that it looks spot on matey.
If the woodstain finish adheres well enough to the door panel, and doesn't scuff or peel off, then it seems to me you've answered this one perfectly.:thumb:

Looks fab. The real enemy for paint is the sun. Being a dark shade that’ll heat up a fair bit. Only time will tell. Being honest I’d expect it to start peeling with 12 months. Varnish is made for a timber substrate.

Just wait until it rains 😂

Although I suggested the likes of t-cut, seeing this reminded me of how I sorted my very faded plastic ‘mahogony’ south-east facing exterior window sills. I used Sadolin hardwood treatment several years ago, and while it could do with another coat now, it has stood up to the sun very well.

Apologies I had not remembered this earlier.

It's Sadoline Extra Durable that I'm using to varnish my driveway gates, having given them three coats of preservative and a coat of Colron Light Oak stain.

I don't think a stain is appropriate for fiberglass. Treat it like a car body. Sand down with fine sandpaper to cut a tooth, apply primer and paint that's appropriate to be laid over fiberglass.

didnt want paint as i wanted it to match the rest of the house as it did when we built the place. but its too late now as its done, and as i said before the stain i used is basically a coloured varnish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom