Pause for thought before buying my next ML63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ab9758

Car
CL500 (W216) ex-ML500 ML63 AMG and ML55
Been scouring listings for another ML63 (2006-2008). Replaced my last one with an ML500 - which paid for the school fees! To confess, the ML500 is even insured with Saga so that shows how lacking in oomph we both are.

Miss my ML63 very much but need to be sensible so not rushing back in without better understanding likely repair bills (unlike last time) and to check out warranties etc.

All excited but then read this post of an owners' experience on the MBWorld (USA) forum. Extremely well written and quite a story to tell. However, it's really shaken me and I wonder if I'm over-reacting.

But was very clearly told by someone I trust (Paul at Beekay Motors in Hammersmith) to avoid high mileage ML63s - anything with over 40-50k miles. But then I'm out of my budget (>£15k)

2007 ML63 AMG - Engine Died - Investigating Why...? - MBWorld.org Forums

It feels like you already know the answer to your query. High mileage ML63s appear to be problematic. So you have the following options: 

- Buy a high mileage one and take the risk (or take out a warranty to mitigate) 

- Pay more for a lower mileage one 

- Buy a different engined variant 

Personally I don't see the point of a 6.3 V8 in a truck that will handle like a tank. I'd stick with the ML 500 you already have. 

But if a 63 is what you hanker for, I think you only have the options above. 

Or consider something from Porsche (Cayenne Turbo) or BMW (XM5 or whatever it is) where the risk is perhaps lower. That said, I think all of these super high performance SUVs are prone to expensive engine issues as they get older. Certainly the original Cayenne Turbos were known for wallet emptying engine issues as they got older. 

Buyer beware and all that!

Been scouring listings for another ML63 (2006-2008). Replaced my last one with an ML500 - which paid for the school fees! To confess, the ML500 is even insured with Saga so that shows how lacking in oomph we both are.

Miss my ML63 very much but need to be sensible so not rushing back in without better understanding likely repair bills (unlike last time) and to check out warranties etc.

All excited but then read this post of an owners' experience on the MBWorld (USA) forum. Extremely well written and quite a story to tell. However, it's really shaken me and I wonder if I'm over-reacting.

But was very clearly told by someone I trust (Paul at Beekay Motors in Hammersmith) to avoid high mileage ML63s - anything with over 40-50k miles. But then I'm out of my budget (>£15k)

2007 ML63 AMG - Engine Died - Investigating Why...? - MBWorld.org Forums
I wouldn’t base any decisions on that thread. The issues stem from remedial work performed by the dealer. Poor repairs affect the reliability of any car.

What’s your budget?

Well its a gamble, my experience has been expensive.

Rear shock replaced, and some link bar. (Age of car meant the bolt had seized, had to be sheared) +£700
Polybelt frayed on mine, breakdown recovery needed. That was embarrassing, caused chaos. +£700
Sump oil leak developed after I got it and Exhaust gasket failed (Off the road for a week waiting for the part) + coolant changed £1148
Misfire on cylinder 5. luckily just a coilpack, sorted that myself. Phew!! £85
Camshaft Adjuster rattle, currently awaiting parts. (Off the road now for 2 weeks, could be another 2) - looking toward £5k)
New Rear valance £391, my choice.
Bumper crash barrier to replace tow bar £3 of eBay - my choice
Respay rear bumper and valance, bonnet, minor surface rust from stones around wheel arch £800

The car cost me 16k + all the above. Not cheap....but still nowhere the cost of new one.

Hoping once I get these issues out the way i can get back to enjoying it. Still really like it, and not put off yet.

Just a pointer
Don't follow what goes on in USA much
That market had so many issues with quality of mercedes products
For example m272 and m273 engine problems, Europe forums unheard of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a pointer

Except the ML63 is assembled in USA!

One service issue I've been told I must prepare for is the "A, B & C service fluids" @100k miles. Advised it's the one everyone avoids but essential. Believe M-B charge well over £2,500 and indie at least £1,000. This is just fluids, not the other service items. Confess I didn't have my ML63 have this at 100k (and sold it @ 103k miles) but also never seen a seller specifically mention having this "big one" done pre-sale.

I wouldn’t base any decisions on that thread. The issues stem from remedial work performed by the dealer. Poor repairs affect the reliability of any car.

What’s your budget?
Expect asking prices of £14-17k but hope to pay +/- £13-14k ( the price I sold my 2007 model for last October after 7 months on market)

The 100K 'fluid service' £2.5K..really ?

Engine Oil (filter)
Gearbox ATF (filter)
2 x diff oil
1 (or 2 ?) transfer box oil
Engine coolant
Brake fluid
Steering rack fluid
er....Washer bottle water.....anything I have left out ?

£2.5K , taking the pizz.

One service issue I've been told I must prepare for is the "A, B & C service fluids" @100k miles. Advised it's the one everyone avoids but essential. Believe M-B charge well over £2,500 and indie at least £1,000. This is just fluids, not the other service items. Confess I didn't have my ML63 have this at 100k (and sold it @ 103k miles) but also never seen a seller specifically mention having this "big one" done pre-sale.
Who told you about that? The reason you’ve probably not seen it mentioned is because there isn’t one.

Use the online service quote tool on the Mercedes website. I just ran a quote at 103,000 miles (to make sure it was over) and it came up at £310 including brake fluid change. I’d negotiate it down from that so probably a tenth of what you’ve been told. It may be a touch more in London.

Just a pointer

Am pleased to hear that, my CLK has m272 motor now 77k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom