• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

"Peak Range Rover (2006)" Harry's Garage. Two old farmers on why they think newer isn't better. What others are there?

No forgetting my favorite, the mandatory speed limiters.....such fun! Europe only at the moment.....but they won't make separate UK specs forever.

New vs old in the RR that Harry reviewed..... better?
Not , apparently...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Screenshot_20230620_220612_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Still love the genuine 750i,
although this one was but a rebadged 740i

Can’t say that I’ve seen a more elegant 7 series since and I’ve been driven in more than a few.

I agree that better is better. Newer is not the same as better; but being newer is often being better.

Which cars can you think of which are clearly not objectively and measurably better for their purpose than their predecessor in more than one meaningful way, which is not list price when new, and not specific to your circumstances or personal preferences?

There will be plenty of predecessors which we subjectively prefer, but relatively few which are objectively better. So think faster, quicker, more energy efficient, more specially efficient, improved crash performance, etc, and not more soulful, less boring, better sounding, better looking, more engaging, etc.
Most new models are just built because the sales have tailed off so a new look is required. The metrics will be 'improved' so that journalists will say it's better. But no, usually it is just new. Only thing i can think that is better are modern automatic transmissions.

Most new models are just built because the sales have tailed off so a new look is required. The metrics will be 'improved' so that journalists will say it's better. But no, usually it is just new. Only thing i can think that is better are modern automatic transmissions.
Interesting.

Still love the genuine 750i,
although this one was but a rebadged 740i

Can’t say that I’ve seen a more elegant 7 series since and I’ve been driven in more than a few.

Great chase scene that was filmed in the Brent Cross shopping centre car park.

Interesting.
Automatic transmissions and safety. Ok 2 things!

Looks will be best on the mark 1 of whatever year. Efficiency is nowhere near claimed in modern turbo downsized petrols in my experience. Recyclability will be better. Erm, can't think what else*

*If i could afford a new car I'd probably think of something 😅

I was also fond of my CLS, probably more so than the S Class
I totally agree, had 2 new of the first style then moved to S class because they changed the style of the CLS. I see an original style CLS around here about once a week & still stare at it thinking that is beautiful. The owner must think "who is that nutter" :dk: .

New vs old in the RR that Harry reviewed..... better?
Not , apparently...

View attachment 142520

Amazing - the Silver Shadow seemed a big car when compared to the 'plebs' cars of the time. Now look at it - a bit like a 2/3rds scale model.

Not meaning to bitch.... but....

Clarkson was extolling the virtues of these new appetite suppressant drug "Ozempic" five months ago.

Looking at Harry's video, it doesn't seem to have worked. (Here's a still of Jeremy visiting Alpine after their Monaco podium)

(As a 17 year old I sold suits in John Collier on a Saturday. Average size was 38 chest and 32 waist, and waist was usually six inches smaller than chest)

Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 09.09.30.png

Last edited:
I have to agree with the two old Cotswold farmers that the L322 is one of the nicest cars I have owned.

Secondly, as an engineer, I can not be doing with cars that go wrong. In the year I had the Range Rover it had three expensive trips to the garage. That's more than the total of all other cars I have had in 40 years, outside routine servicing. :eek: I could not live with that.

JC admitted in the video that he'd had both turbos replaced on his during Covid (i.e. 2-3 years ago), costing more than the car was worth. Current mileage was given as 86k, so it obviously hadn't covered mega miles at the time.

I have to agree, I think they were the last of the proper Range Rovers. I looked at the C218 CLS, wasn't over enamoured & ended up buying a low mileage C219 instead. Sorry to say nothing in the current Mercedes line up is my cup of tea. That's probably an age thing (I'm 55) as there seems to be a cut off point in car evolution for me, probably mid to late 2000s.

JC admitted in the video that he'd had both turbos replaced on his during Covid (i.e. 2-3 years ago), costing more than the car was worth.
I scratched my head at that one. Couldn't work out why it would be much more than £5k to do that job, underlies there had been a lot of "related" damage. Are they really absurd to access? Isn't there some kind of exchange business going on?

Or does an owner of a thousand acres just ring up the JLR dealer and say come and pick it up and fix it for me?

I scratched my head at that one. Couldn't work out why it would be much more than £5k to do that job, underlies there had been a lot of "related" damage. Are they really absurd to access? Isn't there some kind of exchange business going on?

Or does an owner of a thousand acres just ring up the JLR dealer and say come and pick it up and fix it for me?

IIRC it was a 2006 so would have been 14-15 years old then ... not sure what the value of the car would have been? But likely to have been fixed by a dealer I suspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom