Power Steering leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

katsoulis1980

Car
W204 C200 cdi
Hello,

I have a w204 c class 2010 1.8 cgi. When I bought the car a power steering hose was changed. After driving the car few times now, what is have noticed is that on the power steering fluid tank, on the black lid the is liquid from the power steering I am assuming. I have no warning lights on the car and when hot the the level of the fluid is on 80 degrees max. Any idea what is this?.

Alex

Hello,

I have a w204 c class 2010 1.8 cgi. When I bought the car a power steering hose was changed. After driving the car few times now, what is have noticed is that on the power steering fluid tank, on the black lid the is liquid from the power steering I am assuming. I have no warning lights on the car and when hot the the level of the fluid is on 80 degrees max. Any idea what is this?.

Alex

Could it be PS hydraulic fluid left from the old leak? I.e. the garage may have not fully cleaned the stains from the leak before (or after) replacing the hose?

Could it be PS hydraulic fluid left from the old leak? I.e. the garage may have not fully cleaned the stains from the leak before (or after) replacing the hose?
No when I put my finger was oil, I saw a stain before and I cleaned it well. Today though, I could see oil, fluid just on the top

The PSvuses hydraulic fluid, similar to the ATF, it's not oil. Are you able to tell the if the liquid is engine oil or hydraulic fluid?

The PSvuses hydraulic fluid, similar to the ATF, it's not oil. Are you able to tell the if the liquid is engine oil or hydraulic fluid?
Is hydraulic is the same that is inside the tank seems like is coming out from the hole on the top like is expanding and the excess comes out? Is perhaps overfilled?

Attachments

• IMG_1415.jpeg
    IMG_1415.jpeg
    858 KB · Views: 1
Some PAS systems will push fluid out of the vent if the extremity of steering lock is reached without the engine running - and to a lesser degree when the engine is running. Has the former occurred?

The PSvuses hydraulic fluid, similar to the ATF, it's not oil.
Actually, it is an oil. Just of a different viscosity and composition compared to engine oil.

Is hydraulic is the same that is inside the tank seems like is coming out from the hole on the top like is expanding and the excess comes out? Is perhaps overfilled?

I don't know, but you can clean it up and see if it reappears?

It's possibly overfilled, it's possible it just needs bleeding. To check the level use the dipstick which is attached to the underside of the filler cap. To bleed it start the engine, remove the filler cap and put a few rags around the top of the reservoir. Slowly turn the steering wheel a few times from lock to lock. It's normal for a few drops to fly out if there's air in the system, but just in case there's something more serious going on, have someone watch while you bleed it in case it tries to discharge all the fluid so they can yell "STOP!!".

It's possibly overfilled, it's possible it just needs bleeding. To check the level use the dipstick which is attached to the underside of the filler cap. To bleed it start the engine, remove the filler cap and put a few rags around the top of the reservoir. Slowly turn the steering wheel a few times from lock to lock. It's normal for a few drops to fly out if there's air in the system, but just in case there's something more serious going on, have someone watch while you bleed it in case it tries to discharge all the fluid so they can yell "STOP!!".
Ok thanks I will try this and let you know. Although when hot the level is on 80 degrees max

Very unlikely, but maybe there is a crack in the plastic cap, which is causing that.

there is two filler settings, when cold, set to the 20 centigrade mark, when hot to the 80c mark, if one overfills, use a syringe to remove the oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom