• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Printing MB WIS

Easton

Car
A 180
Hi All,
I have aquired a soft copy of the workshop manual. My laptop is running Windows 7, but the WIS runs on Windows XP which is running on a Virtual Machine (emulator).
I want to print out odd pages so I can work on the car with the info in my oily hands.
I'm sure others must have come across this issue, so Help Please!

Easton

I have EPC-WIS virtual machine running in VMWare Fusion on my MacBook Pro, it prints to any physical printer available in macOS Sierra, but will not use Apple pdf printing, so I installed PDF Writer by CutePDF - works fine.

PS I installed that in Windows XP virtual machine that is

Hi All,
I have aquired a soft copy of the workshop manual. My laptop is running Windows 7, but the WIS runs on Windows XP which is running on a Virtual Machine (emulator).
I want to print out odd pages so I can work on the car with the info in my oily hands.
I'm sure others must have come across this issue, so Help Please!

Easton

Can you not find a windows XP printer driver, and just install it in the virtual machine?

Neil

Hi,
I am running WIS on a Virtual Machine, I just press print on the WIS document screen and it brings up my list of printers on windows 7, I print it to Microsoft XPS Document writer and save it to my desktop.

Hi,

I run WIS and EPC on a Windows 7 virtual machine running on a Windows 10 PC.
I use Oracle Virtualbox which is free for home use.
My printer is connected via a USB cable to the Windows 10 PC.
Providing that this printer is enabled on the virtual box USB devices menu the Windows 7 VM "sees" it and installs the right drivers and I can just print to it as normal from WIS and EPC.

It's all possible!
Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the replies. Since posting I've found a rather clunky workaround. I take a screenshot then print it from a shared folder.
My Epson printer does not have a driver on XP as its too new! - the printer that is.
I didn't want to over complicate things in my origional post, but I'm using a MacBook Pro running Sierra, but I'm rebooting using Bootcamp to run run windows 10 with Oracle VM running XP. I'll try some of your suggestions to see if I can do it in a simpler way.
Thanks again
Easton

If you run the VM in Sierra, it'll have access to all your macOS printers.
Also, installing a CutePDF Writer in your VM is a much neater way than a screenshot.
I set it to output in a shared folder, so the pdfs available straight away in Finder.

If you run the VM in Sierra, it'll have access to all your macOS printers.
Also, installing a CutePDF Writer in your VM is a much neater way than a screenshot.
I set it to output in a shared folder, so the pdfs available straight away in Finder.

Essentially what I do, though I pdf them directly to my server and then take a tablet out to the car and open up the ones I want rather than physically print.

Essentially what I do, though I pdf them directly to my server and then take a tablet out to the car and open up the ones I want rather than physically print.

Good idea! I might get a second iPad to do just that ... wouldn't want to knock about my iPadPro12" when I'm tinkering with the car.

Good idea! I might get a second iPad to do just that ... wouldn't want to knock about my iPadPro12" when I'm tinkering with the car.

I also got one of those cheap usb endoscopes which plugs into the tablet which then means you can still see into the hole you've just filled with your fist too, far easier than the braille method.

That would have to be an Android or Ubuntu (hopefully) tablet, right?

Only know android, don't do Apple products that run ios out of principle :)

He-he ... the only Android tablet I have is a cheapo 8" one I bought to program my adaptive break light unit prototype via the bluetooth terminal. I have since decided to drop BT from the design, so it's just a paperweight now (the tablet, not the unit ;) ) ... Might try to use that. I must say, I found Android entirely horrible LOL. Actually, I should investigate if I can stick Ubuntu on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom