Problems with Outlook and Talktalk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And the problem was - a corrupted password. PHEW!! Sorted now, thank goodness.

Mind you, I had a long web chat with an advisor, but all I eventually got out of it was a link to online help that I'd already been to and found didn't cover my problem.

Thank you all for your advice.

(I don't understand why I could still get into my webmail - same user, same computer IP address - but then, I don't understand computers; just that they work is enough for me...).

And the problem was - a corrupted password. PHEW!! Sorted now, thank goodness.

Mind you, I had a long web chat with an advisor, but all I eventually got out of it was a link to online help that I'd already been to and found didn't cover my problem.

Thank you all for your advice.

(I don't understand why I could still get into my webmail - same user, same computer IP address - but then, I don't understand computers; just that they work is enough for me...).

Pretty sure webmail simply pulls from a data file containing your emails. The email engine it all (Tiscali) is old and more complex tech, so more prone to issues

e55bof why use Outlook Talk Talk web mail will work as good .As for the setting look fot the cog wheel after clicking on the windows icon bottom left it will take you to setting . Or bottom right and then click on network,, next screen click on connect automaticaly .

e55bof why use Outlook Talk Talk web mail will work as good.

'Cos I'm used to Outlook, and it has a lot more bells and whistles than Webmail as well.

I'm not sure what I did, but I spent a lot of time trying to find what I wanted (all right, blundering around...) in both Outlook and my Talktalk account online, then for no apparent reason the authentication box popped up, with imap rather than smtp as the server, and the password box empty. So I entered the password, and OK'd it, and Bingo!

Pure luck, but I'll settle for that. Isn't modern technology wonderful...

I had to create a gmail account when I bought my first Android phone.
As I was stuck with it forever, I just configured it to collect my Tiscali emails and then pass them on to Outlook (desktop). Outlook then only has to deal with gmail, and Tiscali emails will gradually die-out as replies get sent in gmail, so the recipient gets the hint....

As I was stuck with it forever, I just configured it to collect my Tiscali emails and then pass them on to Outlook (desktop). Outlook then only has to deal with gmail, and Tiscali emails will gradually die-out as replies get sent in gmail, so the recipient gets the hint....

Good planning

Exactly what I did, well, in my case Tiscali is forwarded to Outlook as are emails sent to my website enquiries@ address.

It's just happened again, exactly the same (except that I don't get the authentication box, just the error message). I'm sure it's their end, not mine.

There's an old military adage: "Once is happenstance; twice is coincidence; three times is enemy action". I'll give them one more chance, but if it happens a third time, I'll find another ISP.

It's just happened again, exactly the same (except that I don't get the authentication box, just the error message). I'm sure it's their end, not mine.

There's an old military adage: "Once is happenstance; twice is coincidence; three times is enemy action". I'll give them one more chance, but if it happens a third time, I'll find another ISP.

Another ISP is unlikely to change the issue with your email

I wouldn't be keeping the same email account either. The most I would do would be to pay TalkTalk a one-off charge of £5 to have them reroute to my new email account as Kid-Jensen did.

It's done it again... It lasted all of three days, and hasn't worked since that, though Webmail is fine throughout. All the settings are as per the link in post 18 above, except that the incoming security comes up as SSL/TLS, not SSL on its own. As the error message is that I can't connect to the server, I can't see that that is where the problem lies. I'll give them one more go at fixing it, then goodbye.

It's fixed now; I enlisted the help of a relative who is an IT professional. The problem was with my Outlook account, although all the settings were correct. Using a Microsoft app (already on my computer) called Quick Assist, he took control of my computer remotely. He downloaded another email client app, Mozilla Thunderbird, and set up a new account with all the same settings. It worked perfectly, so the problem had to be with my Outlook; somehow, it had become corrupted. His analogy was that it was saying all the right things to the TalkTalk server, but not in a language it could understand.

So I deleted my Outlook account, then set it up again with all the same settings. Bingo! We have liftoff!

Although I lost all my (offline) emails when I deleted the Outlook account, the personal folders were not affected, and when I added the new Outlook account, with all the settings exactly the same as for the old one, all the emails online downloaded automatically.

Isn't modern technology wonderful...

I'm having problems with my Outlook and the Talktalk/Tiscali (Tiscali email address) server. I'm using Windows 10. Trying to login to Outlook, I get the authentication box (over and over and over again...) and the Error 0x800CCC0E message - 'unable to synchronise subscribed folders' and 'cannot connect to the server'. Twice I also got the Error 0x800CCC92 - 'server rejected login' message. I have no problems at all logging in via Talktalk Webmail. I can access everything in my Outlook already, but haven't been able to connect to the server for over a fortnight.

I did a Google search when the problem first started, and found a post saying "Same old crap, here we go again, just have to wait till they get their act together". That was over two weeks ago, though, and I'd have thought they would have sorted it out by now. I've tried ringing the complaints number; I give up after three-quarters of an hour with no reply...

Does anybody have any ideas? Could the problem be at my end?

Well, I suppose that's one way to get your post count up; It's normal to say something, though.

Most complaints about TalkTalk are related to issues with openreach - nearly always line faults. Customers who pay the bills to TalkTalk will blame them, that stands to reason as the majority of customers will have no concept that TalkTalk pays BT for the rental of the copper line, the cost being passed on.

I have had a TalkTalk line for at least 10 years, and for the first time I lost internet for a full day, that's was a few months ago. That's the only problem I have had. A few of my neighbours who had Sky broadband were also affected, ended up being an issue at the local BT exchange.

My problem wasn't line related, though; nor as it turned out was it TalkTalk's fault.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that while trying to sort it out myself I let Microsoft try to do so online. It made no difference, except that Microsoft, unbidden, disabled both Office and Outlook. Luckily, I was able to find the activation keys, or else I'd have had to buy both again.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that while trying to sort it out myself I let Microsoft try to do so online. It made no difference, except that Microsoft, unbidden, disabled both Office and Outlook. Luckily, I was able to find the activation keys, or else I'd have had to buy both again.

Note to anybody not aware out there, but a lot of these "Microsoft will help fix your machine" are total scams and have bled people dry. I'm sure the OP is aware, but a lot of people aren't as these scamming scum are brilliant at their job and can even suck seasoned professionals in! I'd always check with an IT friend first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom