Quick Detail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Haha! you know i have always loved cleaning cars since i was in single digits i used to send the entire weekend polishing and waxing my dads 7 series (plural) and then my silver W202 C240 when i passed my test but the detailing bug never really caught up with me until i bought this black car which has a terrible habit of showing every single mistake then the detailing sides of things really took off and i immediately ditched my sponge and chammy lol.

Sorry to hear about the boiler have you managed to get it sorted?
I have some homecover repair thingy through British Gas , booked for next week , we will see what happens . It’s a 20 year old Vaillant and has been pretty faultless . It would be nice not to have to get a new one , I’d rather spend the money on cars :)

hey Chris, I've tried Loads of mitt combos , detailers pride, martin cox, ragmaster and chemical guys, the chemical guys fluro Green is by far the most luxurious and has a an extremely slick feel to it, my favourite by a long way..., as for the Ech20 i had to wait a little to be able to get A500ml bottle, its dilution rate @1/15 means it will last an absolute age, so worth waiting for... Another great product i forgot to mention is waxplanet vaporizer, it's outlet a polymer based drying aid that diluted to 1/40 its also does the same thing as Ech20 but doesn't add anything or affect the water behaviour of your coating... It's about £8 from waxplanet buddy

Lol my missus is going to kill you 😂.

I like that Wax Planet does samples i'll order a few this afternoon. 😇

I have some homecover repair thingy through British Gas , booked for next week , we will see what happens . It’s a 20 year old Vaillant and has been pretty faultless . It would be nice not to have to get a new one , I’d rather spend the money on cars :)

That's great they British gas are usually pretty good.

I know the woh's of broken boilers / water heaters when i was less affluent living in a caravan for ten years the water valliant water heater it had used to break all the time which i had to learn to replace parts and service myself which was to bad to be honest but it always went when i was in the shower. 🥶 i still come across the thermo couples and gaskets whenever i go through the shed.

I hope they get it sorted for you so you can purchase a few wash mits like me :D

question: when you say 'agitated' what do you actually do?

question: when you say 'agitated' what do you actually do?

I usually use a detailing brush to just work it a little bit around the car.

I have a noodle mit which i dampen in a shampoo bucket for the lower part of the car where things are a bit dirtier but that mit is only for the lower half of the car it never get used anywhere else and is kept and washed separate to prevent contaminating my good mits.

Sorry to add and i don't know if others do it but once i have used the fallout and tar remover and given another wash to clear the solvents used i use the Farcela Clay mit before claying which i'm always rinsing in soapy water and soaping the panel figuring that if i have missed anything the mit will gently remove it.

The reason for that is when i first started out at claying there was a bit i missed and this got caught in the clay which marred the area i was working on. I did correct that with the polisher so no harm done but a clay mit seems much gentler and feels like a good extra step before claying and getting in all the nooks and crannies removing the bits you can't usually reach.

The mits have been said to remove about 80% of contaminants and then i let the clay remove the rest.

Last edited:
No worries.... I'll take one for the team

lol it's ok she is actually very supportive when it comes to the car she loves that i try to look after and maintain it the way i do.

I'm well chuffed with the Crystal Sealant and am going to put some time aside in a couple of weeks to give her car a bit of TLC even though it's a 7 seater and do a write up for it.

It'll be the first time i have tested something on my car first.

Good stuff Buddy, I knew you'd be happy with it, I wouldn't recommend a product without have full knowledge of it first.. and believe me when I say "it only gets better".... once you top this with Elixir you will be amazed even more.. the 2 products go so well together That I even considered using it on the AMG, the only reason I didn't was due to it being PPF'd and got a better deal having the whole lot done with a pro coating.

It also works really well on Glass too, Just IPA the glass down then apply the same way... No more glass cleaner needed after that Point, esp when using Vapourize or Ech20 as a drying aid, even on hot glass neither product goes streaky, they just dry down perfectly.

Hey Chris, I've just popped outside to take some pics of My Wife's Daily Driver

This has only been washed twice in 8 weeks, the last wash was 3 weeks ago when I topped it with Elixir and its been raining here for pretty much the whole week and 3 or so days last week, I live in a rural village near farms etc so the roads get quite bad..

thumbnail_WP_20200709_18_22_22_Pro.jpgthumbnail_WP_20200709_18_22_49_Pro.jpg

Now for the best bit... The rear of the car... as you know this is usually the dirtiest part esp after driving in the rain.

thumbnail_WP_20200709_18_22_02_Pro.jpgthumbnail_WP_20200709_18_22_35_Pro.jpg

Hey Chris, I've just popped outside to take some pics of My Wife's Daily Driver

This has only been washed twice in 8 weeks, the last wash was 3 weeks ago when I topped it with Elixir and its been raining here for pretty much the whole week and 3 or so days last week, I live in a rural village near farms etc so the roads get quite bad..

View attachment 99142View attachment 99143

Now for the best bit... The rear of the car... as you know this is usually the dirtiest part esp after driving in the rain.

View attachment 99144View attachment 99145

That looks great mate! I'm converted, i don't know why crystal sealant hasn't been mentioned more it's been around quite a while and seems an excellent base for most applications. I know it's no magic bullet but the results so far are impressive.

I had a chat with my better half last night about giving hers a bit of TLC in a few weeks which she is now looking forward to, i'll have to restock with a couple of bits though by then but her car is only three years old so the DA can stay in the box.

The interior of hers is always where the hard work is and i'll have to break out the carpet and steam cleaner for the upholstery and trim.

That looks great mate! I'm converted, i don't know why crystal sealant hasn't been mentioned more it's been around quite a while and seems an excellent base for most applications. I know it's no magic bullet but the results so far are impressive.

I had a chat with my better half last night about giving hers a bit of TLC in a few weeks which she is now looking forward to, i'll have to restock with a couple of bits though by then but her car is only three years old so the DA can stay in the box.

The interior of hers is always where the hard work is and i'll have to break out the carpet and steam cleaner for the upholstery and trim.
hey Chris, Wowo's original version wasn't the easiest to use, as it flashed off really fast making removal a pig, the latest version only came out at the start of the year, its also not a mainstream Brand name Si doesn't get the publicity it deserves.
As for your Wife's car no matter how old it is, I would strongly recommend that you at least use a micro cut or finishing polish follwed by an IPA prior to application to get the best out of it. bearing in mind that this has the longevity of an entry ceramic coating Circa 12mnths, and the only way to get it off is with machine polish, I've tested it myself with 70% IPA and that didn't even touch it!!!
Once you have done a full decon wash and prep you'll no doubt uncover some fine marring that has been covered up with previous products.

hey Chris, Wowo's original version wasn't the easiest to use, as it flashed off really fast making removal a pig, the latest version only came out at the start of the year, its also not a mainstream Brand name Si doesn't get the publicity it deserves.
As for your Wife's car no matter how old it is, I would strongly recommend that you at least use a micro cut or finishing polish follwed by an IPA prior to application to get the best out of it. bearing in mind that this has the longevity of an entry ceramic coating Circa 12mnths, and the only way to get it off is with machine polish, I've tested it myself with 70% IPA and that didn't even touch it!!!
Once you have done a full decon wash and prep you'll no doubt uncover some fine marring that has been covered up with previous products.

Ahh I see, i was reading a thread on detailing world last night Fusso V Crystal seal and although they aren't the same beast it seemed the more practiced hands preferred Crystal seal.

With the missus car i really wasn't planning on going all out as she is thinking of replacing it OR keeping it and having the dent and scrapes sorted.

Until she has made up her mind i was just going to give it a good decontamination clean and seal as any work i put in will either be gone or undone.

If i'm honest and don't tell her i actually prefer working hers even though there is more surface area. The big flat panels are easier to work on and it is great to try things out.

As challenging as the interior is the reward afterwards is great and i don't really get to do much with my interior as it stays pretty clean and only warrants a wipe down and hoover.

Nice job @chrisk2010
I still think the 203 is a great looking car for its age.

Looks amazing, cracking job. I have not got the male dangly bits required to attempt a machine polish :eek:

It is pretty difficult to mess up with a DA tbh.
They are not forced rotation so are considered the safest machines for beginners.

There is a recent guide from a very experienced guy over on detailing world which is a must read for anyone starting out - https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=421345

Nice job @chrisk2010
I still think the 203 is a great looking car for its age.

It is pretty difficult to mess up with a DA tbh.
They are not forced rotation so are considered the safest machines for beginners.

There is a recent guide from a very experienced guy over on detailing world which is a must read for anyone starting out - https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=421345

Thanks fella, I do too and have grown really found of it and although i have looked i can't see anything i want to replace it with at the moment.

All in all I think i achieved what i wanted to which was give it a bloody good polish and remove those fine scratches with the time available but did make a few mistakes and have a rough day of it especially with the pressure washer failing which was 45 minutes trying to find a dumb clip i won't get back.

I should have checked i had more pads for a starter (one every 6-8 sqr feet), i did think i had more but didn't check and i also got a little tired towards the end which made me eager to finish so i cranked the speed up, moved faster and built up too much heat (hence the pad failing) so i had to step back and give myself a mental slap, have a coffee, slow down and let the machine do it's job. If i had done that with a rotary i'd have paid the price *shudder* and i do know better.

DA's are great they really helped bring detailing to the weekend warrior and with things like microfibre cutting pads and the abundance of various compounds you can even remove some scratches these days without flattening the orange peel.

Each car is different though and the experience really is in being able to evaluate what each car needs based on the amount of correction required, clear coat available and being able to select the right tools for the job luckily Mercedes are quite generous i think with the clear coat.

I've done a little wet sanding back in the day and it isn't too bad, in some ways it's easier to correct with wet sanding than the above as you don't build the heat up and have to work it for long but my car doesn't need it, it was looked after which is why i bought it in the first place and apart from the stone chips on the bonnet (which needs a respray really) it's in good condition and easy to work on.

There are a few bits around the car i'd like to sort out but they'll be there when i'm ready but i think i can live with them lol.

Sorry there is so much there i write a bit get called away, come back add a bit and get called away again.

If I'm not mistaken @chrisk2010 , you are using the Argos DA?

I have the same and in relation to @como being worried, the lower power of these models (Chinese base models rebranded by Argos/Halfords etc) suits sometimes.
My daughter recently bought an A3 and it came up really well from being heavily oxidised in the hands of a complete amateur in only a couple of hours.
I have only used the cutting pad so far and will give it another go over with Mezerna Final Finish.

unOOXMK.jpeg

J5n2TCd.jpeg

If I'm not mistaken @chrisk2010 , you are using the Argos DA?

I have the same and in relation to @como being worried, the lower power of these models (Chinese base models rebranded by Argos/Halfords etc) suits sometimes.
My daughter recently bought an A3 and it came up really well from being heavily oxidised in the hands of a complete amateur in only a couple of hours.
I have only used the cutting pad so far and will give it another go over with Mezerna Final Finish.

unOOXMK.jpeg

J5n2TCd.jpeg

That looks great fella, what an improvement! The final finish will jewel it up nicely and really make it shine.

I am indeed and i well chuffed with it for the price it's a great little machine :)

I spent a few hours (days) looking at DA's and always had decent ones in the past for every day use in my forklift days. I was very tempted to go for a branded one but that argos one came up at a price i couldn't resist and to be honest when you have been machine polishing for a couple of hours your hand feel like rubber no matter what brand it is. The only thing i keep meaning to do is open it up and change the cord for a longer one as i have to keep putting the plug in my pocket so it didn't fall off my shoulder but on the whole for mild use now and again it'll last years and years.

I prefer the palm grip over the handle grip ones because i feel like i can get more even pressure but that might be just me.

It's a couple of weeks with Crystal sealant on and the car held out extremely well.

I managed to give it a clean after doing the better half's car and the beading was amazing, as soon as i hitting it with the pressure washer as smiled.

I have to say though Lee has converted me to the 8 Mitt method, it was so much easier and more efficient than the two bucket method.

I wasn't trying rinse a mitt in a second bucket then inspecting it before touching the paintwork, the second bucket had become storage for used mitts.

There was no fear of anything marring the paintwork i simply had a clean bucket with shampoo, 8 mitts (actually more like 10) then one mitt used per panel and straight into the second bucket for washing later. Doing it this way must be experienced i love to try other peoples techniques and to be fair this is a game changer for me, it saved time, water, energy, all the dunking, rinsing, inspecting both the mitt and water maybe even having to pour the water away and refill with fresh! This was all taking away with this method.

Anyway a good rinse, dry then finished with Carpro elixir which worked great with Crystal Sealant it really brought the shine up and added gloss, i treated the wheels with some Contact 121 wax and i was done.

I didn't take any pics i'm afraid as i was sun burnt and knackered at this point so put my toys in the garden to sort out after a cold shower and called it a day.

It's a couple of weeks with Crystal sealant on and the car held out extremely well.

I managed to give it a clean after doing the better half's car and the beading was amazing, as soon as i hitting it with the pressure washer as smiled.

I have to say though Lee has converted me to the 8 Mitt method, it was so much easier and more efficient than the two bucket method.

I wasn't trying rinse a mitt in a second bucket then inspecting it before touching the paintwork, the second bucket had become storage for used mitts.

There was no fear of anything marring the paintwork i simply had a clean bucket with shampoo, 8 mitts (actually more like 10) then one mitt used per panel and straight into the second bucket for washing later. Doing it this way must be experienced i love to try other peoples techniques and to be fair this is a game changer for me, it saved time, water, energy, all the dunking, rinsing, inspecting both the mitt and water maybe even having to pour the water away and refill with fresh! This was all taking away with this method.

Anyway a good rinse, dry then finished with Carpro elixir which worked great with Crystal Sealant it really brought the shine up and added gloss, i treated the wheels with some Contact 121 wax and i was done.

I didn't take any pics i'm afraid as i was sun burnt and knackered at this point so put my toys in the garden to sort out after a cold shower and called it a day.
Nice one Chris, Glad you found the method as satisfying as i do, its simply a far safer method buddy.
Good news on the Elixir too, you should get altleast 2/3 washes out if that before topping it again. Some people have found it to be a little streaky, but only found that if its over applied.
you'll be looking forward to the next rain storm to see how well it repels contaminates etc.. Really us good stuff.

Nice one Chris, Glad you found the method as satisfying as i do, its simply a far safer method buddy.
Good news on the Elixir too, you should get altleast 2/3 washes out if that before topping it again. Some people have found it to be a little streaky, but only found that if its over applied.
you'll be looking forward to the next rain storm to see how well it repels contaminates etc.. Really us good stuff.

Thanks again mate for taking the time to help and the recommendations those two products do work really well together and i am one of those who looks forward to the rain after i have cleaned and protected a car .

Nothing like drive it in the morning as watching the beads ripple up the bonnet like something from Stargate.

With the Elixir i went very carefully applying to the cloths first and then the car to be more sparing rather than drench a panel which i don't really do with anything because it just goes all over the place including back on the panel you'd just done lol. The main reason was when i opened it it seemed quite thick and reminded me a bot of Sonax BSD which didn't get on well with my black paintwork but the Elixir did a fine job 👍.

I'm going back and forth with regards to the MOP i did it's was a tall order trying to get it all done in one day and even though i achieved what i set out to do a part of me wants to go back and do better.

I'm formulating a plan on paper to do this in stages and panel at a time but i'm fast approaching Birthday season with the kids so we'll see :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom