R129 SL320 Looks like a major oil leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Terry1611

Car
Mercedes r129 sl320
Hi, I wonder if anybody could shed some light on this please.
I've owned this R129 SL320 for 12 years and it's always had the slightest oil leak but yesterday after using the car for the first time in a couple of months it seems to have developed a major oil leak which is evidenced by the massive oil slick on my driveway.
The car drives perfectly apart from yesterday the abs light came on and is still on when I start the engine.
The mystery is there's no change on the oil level dipstick, reads full. Same with all other oil levels which read full.

It's clearly coming from the engine but where, and why are all levels reading full..
Tia

Have you checked for oil in the coolant reservoir?

ps there hasn't been any other temporary visiting vehicle on your drive recently?

Are you.sure it's engine oil?...seems unlikely if the level has not budged. Could it be brake fluid (hence ABS light) or gearbox oil. Id check both levels if I was you.

Have you checked for oil in the coolant reservoir?

ps there hasn't been any other temporary visiting vehicle on your drive recently?
Thanks for the reply mate, no oil in the coolant, it's 100% coming from my Mercedes as I can see the oil dripping onto my driveway.

Are you.sure it's engine oil?...seems unlikely if the level has not budged. Could it be brake fluid (hence ABS light) or gearbox oil. Id check both levels if I was you.
Thanks mate, all levels checked, there's no abnorbality at all, all levels spot on.
It's weird that so much oil's leaking but no dropped levels.

Just had a call from my local indy, the oil leak on my SL320 (R129) is coming from the oil filter housing, oil filter housing is £980 pounds and that's even if they can get hold of one, any ideas please folks.

Is it the seals or the housing that's leaking?

Update on the oil leak on my R129 SL320.
Took my car to a highly recommend indy where they found the cause was indeed the oil filter housing, one replaced oil filter housing later and the oil leak is no more 👌

Thanks to everybody for their helpful advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom