• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

R230 PSE Pump Problems

Racerboy2003

I'm having a problem with my soft close boot and I'm assuming that it is a problem with the PSE pump.
All other functions work fine except the boot soft close. If I take the 20A fuse out and put it back in the soft close works for a few times after which it stops. This I assume is the safety feature that disables the function if the pump runs for too long.
I have taken the boot latch out and sealed the ball bearings (they seemed fine but did it anyway, to be on the safe side).

It seems that both the soft close and remote boot release work on air pressure rather than vacuum.

Operating the boot catch to simulate closing the boot makes the pump run, the mechanism pulls the boot catch down but the pump continues to run.
There are two microswitches that confirm that a) the boot is in the first latch position (this starts the pump) and b) the boot has reached the fully closed position. I know that the microswitches are OK as the pump starts and the little LED in the door goes out when the boot is fully closed.

I have also disconnected the air line from the pump to the catch and checked this for leaks- none apparent. And also run the pump with the port blocked, which did not stop the pump.

My question is does anyone know what makes the pump switch off? Is it the signal from the catch (which would indicate a problem with the rear SAM).
Or is it the pump reaching a specific pressure (which would indicate an internal air leak or faulty pressure valve).
Or if anyone else has any ideas I'd be grateful to hear.

One other question, Can I use a pump from the S or CL models, these look identical but do use the vacant ports that the SL doesn't.

Thanks guys

PSE central locking pump PSE vacuum

Hello,

To answer your question, the pump is sensing too long a run time on the boot lock circuit. it then disables this circuit after several attempts.
The pump, when operating correctly, runs for two – four seconds and senses the vacuum/pressure build up. Then it shuts down. If the pump runs longer( sometimes about 15-17 secs) there is a fault in the PSE unit. There is a pressure sensor inside the PSE that stops it, not either of the microswitches.
There is one hose / line from the PSE to the latch and in the latch is air solenoid (electrical) which switches the air to open the boot or pull it down shut.
Sadly you cannot use the PSE unit from a S or CL class, please see my reply on another forum.
PSE PUMP HEADACHE ! - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums
I usually have a few of these PSE units for sale.
Mercedes Benz SL PSE vacuum pump central locking R230 SL55 SL500 SL350 | eBay
Regards
David
Tel:- 0776 290 2284 or 01224 208650

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom