Random alarm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fifermerc

Car
E350
Car is a 2105 E350 P+. Last night my alarm went off for no apparent reason. No air fresheners dangling from the mirror, no kids accidentally left in the car overnight, nothing that I could see was any different from usual. First time it happened was in the evening, I looked out of the window when I heard the siren and saw the lights flashing, so I used the remote to unlock and re-lock the car and it seemed fine.

It went off again in the middle of the night. Tried the same with the remote but it kept going. Went out and started the car but the alarm kept going. I stopped and started a couple of times, tried pressing the buttons on the overhead console that disable the alarm, but the alarm was still going. Bear in mind that this was the middle of the night, and I'm a bit hazy about the exact sequence of events, but it stopped eventually and was OK for the rest of the night.

I have an Icarsoft MB V2 and I ran that this morning but it didn't show any codes, but I'm not sure it has the facility to look at the alarm system anyway. I did notice however that it showed the battery voltage as 11.98, so a bit low. I was out briefly in the car this morning (about 10 miles) and I checked the battery with a meter and it showed 12.5. I've put it on a charger to top it up.

Just wanted to ask if anyone knows if a low battery would be likely to cause this, or are there other things I could check in relation to the alarm? I've read that low voltage can cause a variety of problems on these cars, but I've not noticed anything else.

Thanks.

Low battery can cause the alarm to go off, especially if the temp drops suddenly lowering the voltage further. Our SLC had the alarm going off randomly for about a week, but after the wife removed a spider from the car it never went off again.

Thanks, it was certainly colder last night than it had been. I did think about things like spiders - you must have a braver wife than mine, she doesn't go near spiders!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom