• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Re: Serpentine belt fitting

Could anybody please tell me what size this is(the fixed nut on the bottom of the belt tensioner)? 16mm is too small & 17mm is slightly too big. Is this a TORX bolt(if so what size)or is there a special tool? On the YouTube videos it said a 17 or even 18mm socket depending on the video. Many thanks.View attachment 155861
From the photo it looks as though part of it has corroded away? possibly why you cannot find a socket to fit, have you ordered a new tensioner if so then check that👍PS I would not re-fit that old tensioner anyway better with a new one given the age of it

Yes, it’s corroded but the largest I have is E20 but that is too small so I need to buy some larger ones but I’d just like to know what size I need specifically for this nut.

Have you bought the new tensioner yet ? The reason I ask is that some of them will also take a T60 bit to allow you to move them when changing belts.

Yes, but the problem is I don’t have a Professional garages selection of tools to try! My trusty metric sockets don’t fit, Imperial as well & my Torx are too small. The tension on the spring of the tensioner is very high so it has to fit correctly.

Yes, but the problem is I don’t have a Professional garages selection of tools to try! My trusty metric sockets don’t fit, Imperial as well & my Torx are too small. The tension on the spring of the tensioner is very high so it has to fit correctly.
I think the point people are trying to make is that the old tensioner has been hacked previously so your socket may not fit that but will fit the new one.

Whenever changing serpentine belt, checking also (all) ball bearings should be done.
I have changed tensioner as well as idlers on my cars. The wheel on the tensioner could not be replaced
and so the entire tensioner had to be replaced.

That's nearly always the case on most cars. I would not even try to change it to be honest.... the spring will be tired well before the bearings wear.... change the whole thing.

I think the point people are trying to make is that the old tensioner has been hacked previously so your socket may not fit that but will fit the new one.
Yes, but the socket was slightly too large for the new one too.

Problem solved........ my 17mm socket isn't 17mm anymore!!! I borrowed my neighbours good quality socket which fitted like a glove. It's time for a new socket set(I'd better not say when I bought it)- can anybody recommend a good quality/value brand? Many thanks everyone.

Problem solved........ my 17mm socket isn't 17mm anymore!!! I borrowed my neighbours good quality socket which fitted like a glove. It's time for a new socket set(I'd better not say when I bought it)- can anybody recommend a good quality/value brand? Many thanks everyone.
For good value I'd recommend Halfords professional. Excellent price and lifetime guarantee!

Thanks- I don’t think there are many shops in France though. I’m looking at Facom.

France but I visit the UK a few times a year

No, there are 8 Saint Palais in France. Near to Montlucon in the Allier.

I finally managed to fit the belt & pulleys at the weekend-all is working well again now. Many thanks for all your help & advice including part numbers etc. Rob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom