• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Rear end weave over bumps

TomF

Car
S350L bluetec AMG
Hey all, this is interesting.
Bought my S class with 18,000 miles on it.
Was surprised that over bumps in town the rear would twitch a bit. On the motorway again a tiny twitch side to side. Assumed all air suspension did that, nothing should have worn out by then.
Tyres were down to the wear strips so I got them changed.
No more unsettled behaviour, so the S class is sensitive to tyre wear, never known that before.
Interestingly, as there is no space saver, no jack, no gunge, no nothing in the boot I assumed I had run flats. Tyre fitter told me otherwise so re ordered normal tyres, he said its quite common to have no spare with normal tyres. I'm surprised that we have to rely on recovery when getting a puncture these days!!

You should have a can of tyre gunk in the boot for punctures .
What make tyres were causing the problem ?

Hey all, this is interesting.
Bought my S class with 18,000 miles on it.
Was surprised that over bumps in town the rear would twitch a bit. On the motorway again a tiny twitch side to side. Assumed all air suspension did that, nothing should have worn out by then.
Tyres were down to the wear strips so I got them changed.
No more unsettled behaviour, so the S class is sensitive to tyre wear, never known that before.
Interestingly, as there is no space saver, no jack, no gunge, no nothing in the boot I assumed I had run flats. Tyre fitter told me otherwise so re ordered normal tyres, he said its quite common to have no spare with normal tyres. I'm surprised that we have to rely on recovery when getting a puncture these days!!
I hardly think that you can state that an S class is "sensitive to tyre wear" when you tell us that both rear tyres were worn out.

It is a large and heavy car, tyres worn to the limit will not give you optimum grip or ride characteristics.

Ah, would the car have been supplied new with that? Most tyre fitters tell you not to use it.
The old tyres were Michelin pilots 275 40 19 rears.

I hardly think that you can state that an S class is "sensitive to tyre wear" when you tell us that both rear tyres were worn out.

It is a large and heavy car, tyres worn to the limit will not give you optimum grip or ride characteristics.
I can say that because its the only car I've had in 40 years that's done it and I wring every last mile out of them.

Ah, would the car have been supplied new with that? Most tyre fitters tell you not to use it.
The old tyres were Michelin pilots 275 40 19 rears.
If no spare is supplied then a tyre repair and inflation kit is fitted to the car. Normally in the place where a spare wheel would be.

It may be possible to fit a spare wheel and tyre in the space in the boot but if so propably a slim line type.

I can say that because its the only car I've had in 40 years that's done it and I wring every last mile out of them.
You can say it but it doesn't mean it's accurate.

As said, a large, heavy, powerful rear drive car with worn out tyres is hardly going to show exemplary handling.

Wringing every last mile out of tyres is not the best approach to motoring.

Wet road grip handling and braking is significantly compromised as tyres wear.

The wear bars are a visual reminder that you have 2mm remaining.

With a car that size I would be replacing at around 3.5mm

Some unscrupulous sod nicked the puncture kit sometime then 🙄
Did they compensate by leaving you some sticky sweets down behind the rear seat and a "Now That's What I Call Music" edition 137 CD? 🤔

I found a box of 12 Bore Shotgun cartridges in the spare wheel well of an Audi A6 that I bought.

It was even more surprising considering that the person selling it was a Solicitor 😁

😂 I found Kenny Rogers in my CD player, he annoyed me after a while so I changed him for the Eagles 😎

😂 I found Kenny Rogers in my CD player, he annoyed me after a while so I changed him for the Eagles 😎
An instant upgrade!

I only know one joke about Country and Western but I cannot tell it on here! 😂

Did they compensate by leaving you some sticky sweets down behind the rear seat and a "Now That's What I Call Music" edition 137 CD? 🤔

I found a box of 12 Bore Shotgun cartridges in the spare wheel well of an Audi A6 that I bought.

It was even more surprising considering that the person selling it was a Solicitor 😁
The shells were probably from one of the solicitors clients :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom