Rear parking sensors and tow bar choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pappa583

SUPPORTER
Car
2013 Vito compact sportx brabus
Looking to get a tow bar fitted to my 2013 viano. Undecided whether to pay the extra and get detatchable type so I will be sure the rear parking sensors won't be affected?
Has anyone had a fixed towbar fitted to their vito/viano with rear parking sensors and had any issues with them going off?

Looking to get a tow bar fitted to my 2013 viano. Undecided whether to pay the extra and get detatchable type so I will be sure the rear parking sensors won't be affected?
Has anyone had a fixed towbar fitted to their vito/viano with rear parking sensors and had any issues with them going off?
I think you will find that a detachable will protrude further into the area that the sensors 'see' than a fixed one would. Mine is a different vehicle but my detachable is OK if the ball cover is off, but needs to be positioned carefully if on the ball. If you have a rear camera, it is not so much of a problem to lose the sensors.

Sorry this is not too much help, but might guide you in the direction of a detachable. One point to make, though...would you be bothered taking the detachable bit off every time after you had used the towbar?

Ernie

I think you will find that a detachable will protrude further into the area that the sensors 'see' than a fixed one would. Mine is a different vehicle but my detachable is OK if the ball cover is off, but needs to be positioned carefully if on the ball. If you have a rear camera, it is not so much of a problem to lose the sensors.

Sorry this is not too much help, but might guide you in the direction of a detachable. One point to make, though...would you be bothered taking the detachable bit off every time after you had used the towbar?

Ernie
Went for the detatchable one.... its pretty straightforward to remove so shouldn't be a major issue, only towing a caravan odd weekends away.
Looks a bit better anyway being tucked away under the bumper.
I havent tried with the ball in yet to see what the sensors pick up yet so 🤞

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom