• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Rear suspension issue....

Generally speaking modern engines are built from a mixture of metals and alloys while using various type of 'rubber' seals. The cooling medium that come into contact with them is usually designed to do no harm to these components , some cars have '15 year' coolant from new . Plain tap water (depending on where you live) can be very harmful to a modern engine and could potentially freeze and crack the engine.

In a different life in a different country we ran nothing but bog stock tap water in the engines of our pick up trucks , it always turned brow and never let us down . But that was when life (and engines ) was far more simple than it is now.

If you are losing coolant it HAS to be going somewhere , I assume your garage have don the Hydro carbon test on the coolant ?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Many thanks,😁

I will ask the garage about the test you mention when I book her in next week. Worst case scenario & as she never seems to loose more than two of the nine litre capacity of coolant for whatever reason;

AS the engine temperature 🌡️ never goes above 60% at the temperature guage, can I assume that no engine damage is or will be done PROVIDED that remains the case and IF I can't fix the issue here?

You've been very helpful and informative, thank you....

John.

Many thanks,😁

I will ask the garage about the test you mention when I book her in next week. Worst case scenario & as she never seems to loose more than two of the nine litre capacity of coolant for whatever reason;

AS the engine temperature 🌡️ never goes above 60% at the temperature guage, can I assume that no engine damage is or will be done PROVIDED that remains the case and IF I can't fix the issue here?

You've been very helpful and informative, thank you....

John.
60 degrees is too low, should reach about 90 suggesting a thermostat problem. On the coolant loss issue, it’s not unknown for a hairline crack in the expansion tank to cause this. Pressure testing when cold often fails to detect this.

WOW, this is all so helpful and I really thank you!!

I'm trying to get a mobile mechanic out to look at both issues ASAP, I'll tell him what you say and update you when I get her sorted out if you have an interest...

THANKS again.....💖👍

John.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom