remaps and mot.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OneForTheRoad

MB Enthusiast
Car
2019 Glc coupe 350d was 2017 e350 c207 .. +65 ford kuga 2.0 cdi zetec awd..
today i heard a whisper mot tests are to fail remapped cars , anyone else heard anything ??

MOT stations do not have the facilities to inspect the ECU for changed maps. However there are a few things they can fail it on as a result.

If you have a diesel and have the regen function disabled and remove of gut the DPF, then they can fail it on that
If you over tune a diesel and it kicks out too much black smoke they can fail for that.

These sort of things are being tightened up in the May changes to the Test. But not for a straight forward within decent parameters remap, as they won't know.

no, but they will soon . via obd port.

Why will a remapped car fail an MOT?
I don't see the reasoning behind that thought.

Where did you hear your whisper?

maybe insurance companies , i dont know ...... just a whisper from a trade tuning co.. be interesting watch ....

no, but they will soon . via obd port.

No they won't, there isn't one system that could detect a remap across all brands, its not that simple. Its not something that will be MOT testable in itself.

Insurance companies as part of claims can get it checked, but its a complex and costly exercise that is not suitable for an MOT test. Insurance companies only do it when there is a real reason and a very genuine reason for refusing a claim that won't get thrown out in court.

If this is true then maybe it’ll encourage people to go the plug n play route so they can remove if/when they need to.

No they won't, there isn't one system that could detect a remap across all brands, its not that simple. Its not something that will be MOT testable in itself.

maybe not yet.

No real incentive for anyone to spend the money to develop one either really.

What was probably being talked about was the changes to the MOT coming up which tighten up the failing of cars where a remap is part of the process. The DPF internals removal for example would throw the MIL light unless the wiring is tricked or more likely the code is removed from the engine map through a remap.

OP - no

You can say I am in the trade too and I haven't heard a thing.

Even if they do, it's not a big deal.

Why would it be an MOT fail? Does a remap make a car unroadworthy? Lol

Why would it be an MOT fail? Does a remap make a car unroadworthy? Lol

altered emissions , insurance void ??? from what i heard its all part of the dpf egr delete detection process.

sounds like you want to convince us to believe in the whisper rather than asking if we heard anything :D

make of it what you will , im no wiser than anyone else. ;) just sayin !!!

insurance void ???

That is the case now if you don't notify your insurance company about it but it's not an MOT issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom