Replacement tyres for C-Class (2015) (W205) - Runflats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

starlight

Car
C220d AMG Premium Line Plus (2018)
My five-year old C-Class has covered just 24,000 miles. The Contisport tyres are the original fitment and the tread on all four is comfortably above the legal minimum. However, they're showing signs of feathering on the outer edges and I'm planning to replace.

Couple of questions:

The Contisports have obviously given good service but the ride's a bit noisier than I'd like. I was wondering about Goodyear Eagles. Any suggestions?

I've also been thinking about switching to runflats. I don't fancy grappling with the sealant kit in the driving rain late at night on a country road in the middle of winter. I have Bridgestone runflats fitted to a BMW. The ride is brutal, totally unforgiving on poor surfaces (of which there are many in Scotland, even in cities), but there is the security of knowing that the car can limp for for 50 -80 miles in the event of a puncture. Has anyone fitting runflats to a C-Class W205 and if so what's been the experience?

My W204 does not have run-flats, and came with a space saver spare which I replaced with a full size spare (I now have 5 identical original MB alloy wheels with same-size tyres).

But I believe that the W205 no longer has the space for a spare wheel (not even a space saver) under the boot lining?

With regards run-flats, they are bound to give a harsher ride, but at the same time Bridgstones are notorious for their harsh ride (I had a set of non-run-flat Bridgstones and needed to run them on very low air pressure for the ride to be comfortable), so I wouldn't rely on your experience with the Bridgstones as a yard stick for run-flats in general.

Personally I chose non-run-flats (have Dunlop now) and full-size spare wheel, but this may not be an option for you.

But before deciding on run-flats, yes they are safer because you don't have to stop on the hard shoulder, but then you can't really complete your journey either.... if you are on the motorway, the best you can do is get to the nearest services and call roadside assistance. And if they don't have your tyre size in the van... the car will have go to the garage on a low-loader, and all a this for a simple puncture... so it's not really the panacea some think it is.

With full size spare, you risk having to replace the wheel on the roadside, but then you can complete your journey.

And the other issue with run-flats is that every puncture means a brand new tyre.... punctures in run-flats can't be repaired.

So there are pros and cons, but no perfect solution.

You're absolutely right. No space saver and no room for a spare - just a sealant kit. As an alternative to the Bridgestones (and, yes, very harsh indeed) I'm thinking about Uniroyal Rainsport runflats. Apparently, the wet grip is brilliant (where I live there's lots of rain!) although they may have a shorter life (softer rubber for lots of serious grip). Since this car averages around 3k miles a year, I'm not bothered about longevity.

As you say, there are real pros and cons but if a spare isn't an option I think that runflats have it over the sealant repair. That said, I think it's disingenuous of the likes of BMW to say that the 50 mile "life" of a punctured runflat will get you to a "service centre". Think that's a bit optimistic!

Btw, I always carry a heavy duty Michelin inflator in the boot. It's a very robust piece of kit capable of eeking more life out of all but the most goosed tyre with the right amount of driving care.

I have 4 new Hancock tyres in the garage ( 245 X 45 X 17 ) Brainstorm why I bought wrong size gaw knows, buyer offered to take them back but, courier to Germany out of the question, £75 each cost me £90 each.

The single digit error danger. I once topped up someone else's mobile phone by mistake. On the topic, I've wondered about Hancook. Seems to represent a decent balance between price and quality. Any thoughts?

Hancook tyres are factory-fitted to some lower-spec MB cars as of around 2014.

And any manufacturer that manages to become teir-1 supplier to the automotive industry has made the grade.

But I have only seen them on the more basic models with 16" or 17" wheels, not on any of the sportier variants that come with ultra-low-profile tyres.

Hancook do make high-performance tyres though, so I guess there must be a reason why MB didn't choose Hancook for AMG cars etc (unless someone will correct me on this, i.e. things have chnaged recently) .

So I would say that your assessment that "they represent a decent balance between price and quality" is probably spot-on.

I hated the runflats on my BMW 5 series a few years back (before I switched to M-B). The ride was very harsh, the life of the tyres was poor and they cost a fortune to replace. I now use Michelin CrossClimate tyres.

Run flats are to harsh a ride on uk roads,I replaced tyres recently with Goodyear eagle 5 great tread depth and low noise well pleased.

My W205 came with runflats as standard, 19", I also have 17" winter wheels and can honestly say there is no difference to ride quality, although the airmatic might help in that respect.
My Conti fronts needed replaced last year and I used Goodyear Eagle F1's which have more grip and are much quieter, so when the rears need done I'll get Goodyears again.
I don't find modern runflats anywhere near as bad as they used to be.

What brand of 19" runflats were factory fitted? Apologies if I ought to have detected the answer in the post! You may well be correct about modern runflats, but anyone with experience of Bridgestone Potenzas doesn't have a good word to say about ride quality.

What brand of 19" runflats were factory fitted? Apologies if I ought to have detected the answer in the post! You may well be correct about modern runflats, but anyone with experience of Bridgestone Potenzas doesn't have a good word to say about ride quality.
I think Bridgestone Potenzas are the most over rated tyres I've ever used, I've never had a good word to say about them anyway.
As for factory fit, mine came with Conti's but I think they used Michelin and other makes from the factory too.

I have Michelin PS3 ZP Acoustics on 20" multi spokes 245/35 front and 275/30 rear. On all but the worst roads they are comfortable and quiet. Ok, it does have air suspension but even in Sport + it is better than the s211 was on 205/16/55 Contis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom