• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Reversing camera

Felstmiester

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range rover sport
Cut a long story short my car came with an aftermarket reversing camera ( not fitted) when I brought it many moons ago. It sat in a bag in the boot for ages until I got round to fitting it about a year or so later.

I took the command out and plugged it into the back and ran the cables to the boot. Yellow and red plugs. ( yellow I guess for video and red plug has live and earth ) I set my command up in secret menu and it turned out that for some reason the camera worked perfectly without connecting the live and earth. Don’t ask me where it was getting it’s power from but it was working fine. After doing the pre fitting check to see if it worked before I started fitting it in its place underneath the boot handle I then started to go ahead with the fiddly task of running the wire and fitting the camera in its final place. It wasn’t easy taking the trim off the boot and cutting a nice neat hole for the camera to sit flush in but it turned out to be a nice neat job that looked pretty factory. Only problem was...it hasn’t worked since. I’ve tried running a live and earth to the other cable. I’ve tried plugging a new camera into the existing plugs. I’ve even removed the command again to check it’s still plugged in but nothing. I just get the blac screen with check all surroundings. I got fed up in the end and it’s been like it for years but I’d now like to get it sorted.

Any ideas what could be wrong ?

Signal cable has dead short to earth on it? Could the first one have been running from an internal Battery solar cell or summat?

Signal cable has dead short to earth on it? Could the first one have been running from an internal Battery solar cell or summat?
Only thing I haven’t done is change the lead from the command to the camera so maybe I’ll try that. Why it worked without the live and earth connected is a mystery.

Well worth while. Had to get power from somewhere. Reverse polarity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom