• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

RR Sport TDV8 vs ML V8 CDi

D

Deleted member 37751

Once I sell the Q7, I'm probably going to go for either of the above.

I've already owned a RR Sport and really enjoyed it, positives were that it was very smooth, quiet and refined and didn't cost a bean to run other than fuel and insurance. Only real minus was power, being the TDV6 (190bhp in a 2.5 tonne vehicle...) it was a bit cumbersome for my liking and definitely suits the bigger engines more.

I've flirted with a W164 ML 420 CDi for a while, it would have to be fitted with the AMG kit though, the standard looks a bit too magnolia for me. Thought about the GL but (even though we have a vehicle of similar size) the wife thinks they look like a bus so they're sadly off the list.

I'd be interested in owners experiences of the ML and the V8 engine (as rare as it is) and also any opinions. I could be open to the V6 CDi and get the Brabus chip as well.

I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Are there any ML or V8 CDI owners out there willing to share their experiences?

Alx has or had one and seemed to have experience with other SUVs as well such as the GL so may be able to give you a good comparison if you PM him and point him to this thread.

I recall he had a brabus tuning box on his as well...

I have had the ML350CDi BE Sport since August coming from the facelift CLS350CDi.
I find the ML to be a lovely car to be inside, plenty of room and comfort but not as luxurious as the CLS (also the ML is not available with a light interior which for me is is a downer).
The engine in standard form is lovely, nice and smooth with enough power to feel nippy.
With a little bit of magic it can have 270bhp and 700/800nm torque which transforms the vehicle into a real squirt and surprise at the lights!
The only big problem feature for me is the auto boxes lethargy off the line, mine has been improved a lot with software customisation but still it has hesitation (although this can be worked around by careful throttle caressing from stationary), it's the difference between poking with a sharp stick a sleeping greyhound or a sleeping cat.

All in all though it's a lovely car.

When I bought it I had the choice also of a RR Sport HST (very rare model) but still went for the ML as I didn't want to get mistaken for a premier league footballer :D

Still I am happy with the decision.

Oh yes, also have a Lexus RX300.....only 200bhp and puny torque (petrol) but due to the way the torque converter and trans is set up (US style neck snapper) it'll leave the lights like the proverbial scalded cat.......0-30 "oh **** where did that go?" 0-60 about 8.5 seconds, not bad but feels an age after the torque of the ML..............

Once I sell the Q7, I'm probably going to go for either of the above.

I've already owned a RR Sport and really enjoyed it, positives were that it was very smooth, quiet and refined and didn't cost a bean to run other than fuel and insurance. Only real minus was power, being the TDV6 (190bhp in a 2.5 tonne vehicle...) it was a bit cumbersome for my liking and definitely suits the bigger engines more.

I've flirted with a W164 ML 420 CDi for a while, it would have to be fitted with the AMG kit though, the standard looks a bit too magnolia for me. Thought about the GL but (even though we have a vehicle of similar size) the wife thinks they look like a bus so they're sadly off the list.

I'd be interested in owners experiences of the ML and the V8 engine (as rare as it is) and also any opinions. I could be open to the V6 CDi and get the Brabus chip as well.

We've had my wife's ML for about 2 years now and have no plans of selling - it's been nothing but a pleasure to drive. I can't say it was the most reliable of all Mercedes cars we've had though. Even my heavily modded ML55 didn't cost as much in repairs. Most of it was covered by Tier 1 warranty and MB of MK good will so I have no hard feelings towards the W164 platform. That said, give me the simplicity and lack of refinement of W163 any day. LOL!

Anyway, I'll start with the bad bits that failed, in no particular order:

- Gearbox valve body (cold up/downshifts were quite rough and characterised but a loud thud - sudden valves closing)
- HK Amplifier (died quietly one day during a drive somewhere, no symptoms)
- New front N/S HK speaker and a pair of door tweeter speakers (they all sounded overdriven quite often. Turned out the large door speaker wasn't an HK speaker but something else. All 3 swapped by MB, now sounds superb)
- Rear SAM module (replaced twice)
- Aux battery under the driver seat (ironically was draining the main battery)
- Electric tailgate electronic module in the boot (water damage)
- Airmatic compressor (just stopped working one day, reason unknown)
- Couple of glow plugs (no symptoms)

The car had had about 50k on the clock when we bought it from a local MB dealer and we since put 15k on it. Most of the things failed or were on their way out in our first year of ownership. My take is they probably were there before but remained unaddressed.

Problems aside, this twin turbo diesel engine is probably the most sensible engine I've had in a car. It has loads of torque yet it returns good mile to the gallon (25...35). Overall, it is a great pleasure to drive without having to visit gas station very often.

Comparing it to the GL: I've only driven a GL350 not a V8 so it's not a fair comparison but ML is a much more balanced vehicle (wheel base, weight, etc). It felt like a sportscar after GL350. GL is roomier but strangely I didn't get much more out of it with its 3rd row seats down - they don't lay flat so you don't have a perfectly shaped cargo area. It's longer but sloppier if it makes sense.

As you've noticed, even in 420 form vanilla ML looks quite bland. I believe you have to have an SE to have leather seats, else they are alcantara. SE looks very plain though hence my full conversion to BRABUS.

Engine wise, I don't think you can go wrong with it, it's not a new block after all. I believe it's been around for at least a decade now if not more? The issues we had with the car were more options related: HK Sound system, 7-speed gearbox, electric boot - none of it to do with the engine itself. Despite the repairs, we still like it a lot. I offered my wife to have it swapped for something else a couple of times now but knowing she can end up with an ML250, she only wanted it fixed. LOL!

If you have any questions, fire away. As usual, they are good reliable cars when looked after properly and in time. Unfortunately, some things just fail prematurely and give no indication as to why. Latest one - airmatic compressor - just gave a dash board notice while on a motorway and then stopped pumping the air. I swapped it for an S-Class W221 compressor that I had lying around and it worked fine ever since. :thumb:

RR Sport mate.

I have just done 1000 miles in the ML350cdi and it is OK.
But I was itching to get back into my W163.

The interior on the W164 is a bit rubbish, not in design but in quality, nothing is soft touch and it all feels a bit hollow.
Nothing wrong with the car and if it is a Merc you fancy it is as good as the W212 W204 etc. But don't even compare the quality with the Rangey or even the Q7.
It feels very utilitarian comapred with the Q7, RR, X5 and even the older W163.
Also found the ride on the 20" wheels too firm, and I don't mind a firm ride, but combined with the thin plastics it just showed the cabin quality up more, and on fast 'back roads' I actually found it a bit skittish, think some 19's would not only ride better and make the car feel more luxurious but would actually make it handle better too.

Overall, the car I thought I would buy next is now well and truly off my radar, not because it is bad, just that when you have things like Range Rover Sports and Cayennes out there that do it better why bother?

Are you thinking of a facelift RRS?, if so then I would go for one over the ML, pre facelift I would probably go for the Merc, I think its got a nicer interior.
What about the FFRR?.

What about the FFRR?.

They're now on my radar as well, I've just sold the Q7 to the first person that viewed it, so my search becomes a little more intense....

So the 'short list' is... a RR Vogue SE TDV8 with rear entertainment (which seems a very common addition to that spec), an ML 420 CDI with AMG kit and then a RR Sport with the HST kit.

Did I miss the reason for selling the Q7 Lee, or was it just its time to go?

I have had my ML420SE for 5 years now. I bought it in 2008 with 15k and now it has 70k. It had one previous owner and had every and I mean every option ticked. Nappa, reversing camera, off road kit, HK stereo, sunroof etc etc. It took me 6 months to find and a 420 in SE spec as most are Sport with 'man made leather'.

Its the family car so it has had a tough life but I have it on a merc service plan so it is well looked after. 25-35 mpg is spot on.

In the 5 years the battery dies and one glow plug was replaced. That's it. It has been totally reliable.

At the moment i have winter tyres on it which is something i do every winter. In the snow and ice it is just brilliant.

What you really want to know is how fast it is though :thumb:

Its very, very quick and surprisingly nimble. Its built for fast cruising. On the motorway its just eases past everything without breaking sweat. Mid range overtaking is hysterical.

I love the car, its an iron fist in a velvet glove and I don't ever want to sell it.

Considered both after selling the CLS but bought neither.

Out if the two, given 2006-2008 RRS v 163 M420cdi I would go RRS. I personally wouldn't consider a FFRR if the same age, as it looks even more dated and I would have felt even older than I already do....

I would say that the Mercedes would be more reliable, but the RRS edges it on looks and road presence...the HST spec helps in the same way as the AMG spec on the M.

Probably doesn't help much....

Jules

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom