• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

S204.208 2008 C220Cdi Horns

Chrishazle

MB Enthusiast
Car
2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 facelift SLK280 Auto.
The horn on my car has gone anaemic, single tone and quiet. I've tried 2 parts sites trying to get the part numbers in order to buy replacements, but searching by type (204.208) and by VIN (missing from database!) I get a list of 4 or more different part numbers for each of the 2 horns (horn and fanfare horn) for my vehicle. VIN is WDD2042082F200232. Can anyone help determine which of the many part numbers is correct for my car - would be much appreciated.

Any of those Part #'s for both left and right side horns would fit.
Each number has been superseded by a later one but they'll all fit.

Check the Part #'s in the linked eBay advert.

You can buy / use any old 12v horn that will fit under the bonnet. Beware of some air horns that draw 30 amps through your 20 amp circuit. Just get a 30 amp fuse.

If you have two horns, you should use a high tone and a low tone. This gives the pleasing ‘fanfare’ sound.

An update : Looking on Youtube I found 2 "How To" videos, 1 showing that you could access the OS horn by removing the front OS wheel and pulling the wheel arch liner back, the other showing that you needed to remove the front bumper - which you certainly do to access the NS horn. So I bought 2 NOS genuine MB horns (400Hz low tone NS, 500Hz high tone OS), took them and the car to a decent garage (not MB!), who found that you can indeed access and remove the OS horn via the wheel arch.

However, the old horn had spade connectors, the replacements have moulded on plugs, so it would appear that not all part numbers are a direct replacement! The garage has been able to source a Bosch replacement with the correct connectors but will have to use the bracket from the old horn to attach it. Supply and fit is (probably +VAT) £98, which I'm quite pleased with.

I'll update this again with the part numbers of the NOS horns and, if I can, the part number of the old removed one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom