S212 rear suspension - nearly there, maybe?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisHGTV

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E250 Avantgarde Estate, Alfa GTV V6, Vespa, Ducati, many bicycles...
Hi all,

So far i've had a new compressor, new bellows, new airlines, new valve block and system calibrated and it now doesn't drop which is fantastic!

But on it's second use after collecting from having the airlines and bellows done the right hand side suddenly raised itself to full height and the tyre pressure warning came on. I had the Malfunction message on the dash with the car raising symbol. I immediately thought the ride height sensor arm had failed on that side so jacked both sides up to have a look, and both were intact. The RHS has actually had one of the new metal ones fitted and it looks like a slightly newer sensor as well maybe. But couldn't see anything wrong either side. When it was jacked up it farted slightly (release of some pressure). Once back on the ground and started it now seems to be at the correct height and it's stayed that way. Tyre pressures were fine so i reset. I assume the pressure may have been affected due to weight transfer when the one side raised to full height.

However the LHS side sits at 65cm from ground to top of wheel arch and the RHS sits at 68cm. The drive isn't perfectly level so i need to find somewhere that is to fully test it.

But is there a way to "reset" the level system, i thought i read you can pull the fuse (i assume when the car is running) but don't want to risk messing anything up, and electrics are not my forte!

I could take it back to the garage to have it checked of course but it's a bit of a trek (2 hour round trip).

Cheers - at least i can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I knew the suspension was a bit of a weak link on these so was at least expecting some expense (not quite as much though!)

Well I had a fiddle in the rear fuse box and the fuse for the suspension levelling gubbins wasn’t pushed fully in. It did seem to be in enough to make contact but you never know.

Hi Chris, I seem to have EXACTLY the same issue with the right hand side or my car lifting. Its happening on virtually every journey. any suggestions?

Hi Robin - just replied to the other post about this, but in short i took it to a different MB Indy and they discovered the previous garage (MB indy) had inadvertently switched the L and R air lines at the valve block at the back. The replacement non-MB Meissner part is not colour coded. They swapped them back and absolutely fine ever since. It should be possible to check if this is the case but you'll have to get under it, and remove the cover for the the compressor so you can trace which side goes to which valve on the block. If yours is still the original block it will have the valves marked left or right, if it doesn't let me know as i still have my original one in the garage so easy to check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom