SAAB....not just a Vauxhall ;)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
robert.saunders said:
I have kinda half-heartedly been looking at a used SAAB, can anyone suggest a good forum or web-based resource. I have seen a nice 9-3 Aero 2.0t, would like to find some info on these models (not just what SAAB says!)

Thanks, Rob

Rob

I would heartily recommend www.saabscene.com - I have been reading that forum for a long time and (like here) you have only to post a question and you will get some very knowledgeable replies very quickly.

Rgds

Philip

lotusmark2 said:
Thats one thing I do agree with Jimbo, the brake really need a good looking at. they have that "oh cr*p am I going to stop before the back of that car" feel to them. Easy enough to overcome though.
Did you have a manual or auto box?

Manual gearbox. Hasn't actually broken but the shift is always slightly awkward.

What's the easy fix for the brakes?

996jimbo said:
Manual gearbox. Hasn't actually broken but the shift is always slightly awkward.

What's the easy fix for the brakes?

I'm a total convert to the SAAB auto box so cant comment on the manual. I will say that the change on the SAAB auto is not as smooth as the MB but I really like that so...to each their own.

Brakes are dead easy, fit this along with some braided hoses and bobs your uncle.

Also try http://www.saabcentral.co.uk/ very good site with lots of enthusiasts on it.

We bought my partner a 1999 95 estate last year and I have to say that I think it's great............Jeez it's fast!

Saab 900 S

I do not like cars much and prefer to spend money on other things. In 1995 after I got married my wife and I bought a new Saab 900 because it had a reputation for safety, reliability, quality blah, blah, blah.

It is probably the worst car I have ever driven or owned. It is unreliable, it has the handling qualities of a boat and the quality is poor. I was shocked in the late 90's to be told it was an Opel Vectra. All the standard GM parts are rubbish - electric windows, door and boot locks, brakes etc. All have been replaced many times over.

I have just bought a new Mercedes E200 Stationwagon. Now I have three kids. I am convinced from everything I have read that in ten years I will not feel as cheated as I do about the Saab.

Do not bother buying a Saab. It was once a great marque but now it is just a Vauxhall disguised as something more exotic. Saabs are not good value. They are cheap because they are cheaply built. That is why ten years on I decided to spend a lot more and get a decent car.

I am not going to get into a slanging match with you Andrew, Its a shame your first post could not have been a little more balanced.
Welcome to the forum and to each there own

I was following a 9-3 SportWagon earlier this week ... I actually thought "that's a nice Vauxhall" (Vectra estate or Signum?) until I got close enough to see the badge!

BTB 500 said:
I was following a 9-3 SportWagon earlier this week ... I actually thought "that's a nice Vauxhall" (Vectra estate or Signum?) until I got close enough to see the badge!
Surely the vapour trails were a clue? :rolleyes:

Yeah I have to say I REALLY dont like the new SAAB, they have got rid of a lot of the little touches that made the car "a bit different", the new 9-5 does not even have a SAAB badge on the front grill!

lotusmark2 said:
Yeah I have to say I REALLY dont like the new SAAB, they have got rid of a lot of the little touches that made the car "a bit different", the new 9-5 does not even have a SAAB badge on the front grill!

Yeah, can't stand the rear end on that new sportwagon, or whatever they call it - looks really cheap / nasty. Have considered Saab in the past and know several happy owners - the 9-5 estate is nice - esp. the Aero version !

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom