• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Seized water pump om642!?

Iskapsts

Car
2008 viano lwb 3.0cdi
Hi guys, some advice would be appreciated,

Drive belt snapped and I was confident that an ac pulley as it tend to give out sounds consistent to bearing failure, however it turns freely and quiet as other drive belt components except water pump, I grab it both hands and lot of force was needed to turn it just an inch either direction, googled that new pumps might be stiffer, but not used one should roll freely.
Put new drive belt on, at first start pump didn’t move and belt started to smoke, but then after further 10 starts it goes well, removed belt again to check and it’s still stiff as no way that to be normal.
Any advice could that be pump itself or impeller I have no idea as never had touched water pump on this.
Many thanks.IMG_1391.jpeg

You will need to change the pump, I had the same problem with my W220, started it one morning and the belt flew off and I found it wrapped round the power steering pump. The impellor was seized solid. A bit of a pig to get to on my car, which has the straight six engine, yours is a V6?

You will need to change the pump, I had the same problem with my W220, started it one morning and the belt flew off and I found it wrapped round the power steering pump. The impellor was seized solid. A bit of a pig to get to on my car, which has the straight six engine, yours is a V6?
Thanks I see, will go for a new pump in this case,
Yes it’s a v6 squeezed in w639 total nightmare to access anything between radiator and block.IMG_1396.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom