• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Self-leveling 190Cosworth-problems..

cccc909

190 2.5-16 Cosworth with the self-leveling rear end. 1991 car with 140k.
Rear end has become harsh over bumps, squeak from near side damper and feeling of 'movement' under cornering.
I have looked at bushes, bearings, links, etc-all ok, So I am now thinking dampers(look origonal), spheres, valve(where is valve by the way?)

1. So how do I work out which it is?
2. Or is this a damper+spheres+valve all together type job?
3. Is there any strange techniques to changing the dampers-I have seen a post about changing shperes)
4. would normal dampers make any real difference?

Many thanks for your thoughts guys!!
cheers Chris

I remember they did something like this on wheeler dealers a merc cosworth and they ditched the self leveling suspension as it was very expensive to repair/replace.And used good quality shocks instead with good results.I think the valve is located behind the rear offside wheel BTW.

The harshness will be the spheres are low on gas, replace.

The rest is logical deduction.

agreed with Dieselman, if the ride is harsh you can pretty much guarantee it's the spheres. They are a "service item" supposed to be replaced every 100k so yours are due.

Have fun changing them :)

Andy

Thanks for your input,
I think your right, I plan to buy the 2 spheres and new pipes into spheres, new fluid, then try that first. (I will look through you're 'how to change spheres' again-very helpful)
I'm not sure about the shocks, esspecially at that milage, however I think as they cost a fair bit and the suyptoms say 'spheres' I will do them later if it does not cure things.
Thanks again all, I will keep your posted!
cheer Chris

if the system is the same as the W124 then the "shocks" aren't really shocks they are just hydraulic struts. If they are not leaking they should be OK

HTH

Andy

andy_k said:
if the system is the same as the W124 then the "shocks" aren't really shocks they are just hydraulic struts. If they are not leaking they should be OK

HTH

Andy

And the damping effect is the size of the oil orifices into the spheres, so it can never degrade, just the springing becomes harder as the nitrogen escapes through the membrane.

I can't understand why MB make th fitting such a pain, Citroen spheres just screw straight onto a casting that the ram connects into.

Just been to Merc dealer in Oxford, a great big new centre it is too. The spheres are £90+vat each, so I plan to buy them from German & Swedish (I trust they will be the same to fit ?)
The pipes are all a few weeks back order parts!!! so I have soaked everything with WD40 and plan to go easy.(could these be made-up with a brake hose kit?)...
My plan is..change the spheres only, not touch the self-leveling valve at all, then re-fill the system and see how she goes before I buy the struts as I see no leaks..
Any thoughts on this approach or have I missed something major?...
thanks for your comments guys, wish me luck...Chris

try another dealer - the W124 spheres should cost about £130 a pair.

I'm not sure of the quality of aftermarket ones. The MB ones are designed to last about 100k miles. It's not a job you want to be doing too regularly so you need to work out if saving a few quid in the short term will be any benefit in the long term.

Andy

Good point, It never occoured to me that the dealership may vary in price.
Looking at the massive and rather flashy new dealer centre at Oxford they will need a fair bit of business to pay for the place, it's as big as an airport!
Thanks for the tip, cheers Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom