Sending heavy fragile items

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I sent a Linn CD player to S. Korea in May. It cost the purchaser £105 in P&P.

Thanks guys for all your comments, I appreciate them as always. I'll stick with collection only, as I said, they aren't taking up space atm as still at mothers and cant face the thought of them possibly getting damaged. Obviously when the house is eventually sold, then I'll have a rethink.

Following on from the above, it used to be a well known scam that you would pay with Paypal, then collect in person, then lodge a 'goods not delivered' scam payment reclaim.
eBay would only take tracking confirmation as proof, and because you don't have it because they collected, would refund the money. Even if you had texts arranging the pickup, confirming they've collected, and a photo of you handing over the package and them driving off in the car, eBay weren't interested.

Now thankfully after allowing 15 years of non-stop abuse of this scam loophole, if the buyer pays by Paypal and collect, they get emailed a QR code. When they come to collect, you scan the QR code from their phone whilst in your eBay selling account and this is now proof of collection. I didn't sell anything on eBay for years due to this appalling **** up, but have literally just posted my first eBay sale since the naughties this afternoon. Fingers crossed it's a straightforward transaction and no scammer.

Which reminds me, the package I sent today was addressed Scotchland. I did have a mini panic that it would be the 'highlands and islands' and I would be clobbered for a high delivery charge. On my next listings, I need to put an 'exclusion' that says I reserve the right to increase the postage costs beyond mainland-central rates.

I’ve used Hermes selling some designer crockery.
about 10 parcels, one got damaged - but I don’t think my wrapping was good enough.
cardboard disc between plates, then tape them into a ‘pack’.
i now bubble wrap everything, make “triangle tubes” of cardboard between items. Then scrunched newspaper to pack it all out.

i even repurposed the polystyrene balls from a ‘pouffe’ thing, to pack one coffee set out, and it’s been fine. (Warned the seller to open it outside :D:D).

ive heard some negative stories, but mainly ok for me.

That well packaged wing was from me!

I received a Carburettor through the post today.

Usual story, wrapped in some bubble wrap and put in as small a box as possible.
In fact the box had been cut down so it could be taped around the Carburettor.

Fail, wrap it, wrap it again and have lots of packaging between this and outer carton.

Ideally you want a bigger box with a few inches between packing and outer carton.

Mist folk don't though as shipping cost increases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom