Short journeys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ade B

MB Enthusiast
Car
2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
We've recently moved our office up the hill about 1.8 miles from our flat. Normally my wife (who is also my business partner) and I walk to work but as she is now 7 months pregnant (and its raining today :rolleyes:) the CE seems to be getting used more than is sensible of late...

Hopefully this is a short term thing (the car use and the pregnancy :D) but my question is, aside from horrendous fuel consumption, is there anything else that the car will suffer from doing this type of journey and is there anything I can do to prevent it..

Ade

ps. she leaves at 4pm and I run back in case anyone thinks we're just plain lazy ;)

This type of journey will kill the engine due to additional petrol causing bore wash and fuel dilution as well as condensation in the oil.

You need an electric car...or a bike..

A diesel would fare better as they don't suffer with overfuelling and bore wash, and diesel is a lubricant where as petrol is a solvent.

Biggest problem is that it will spend a long time on cold start in proportion to the miles done, though this is not the best way to use a car I do not think that it will make that much difference.
It is not good to warm the car up first either in P, just drive it lightly and avoid any hard driving.

Best regards also with the new arrival :)

Pregnancy usually is short term. If it goes beyond 9 months, have a word with your doctor :D

I agree with DM, not good for a petrol engine, it won't warm up properly in that distance. Mind you it's only (presumably) for another month or so? In which case if you give it a long run once a week to clear out the crud it shouldn't have too bad an effect I believe.

Apart from the very valid points already mentioned, this journey will not be long enough to pour back the volts that were used when starting the engine. That's technical talk for saying the battery might go flat.

The next issue will be condensation in the exhaust system. This system will not get hot enough to dry out and it might suffer terminal corrission, sooner, rather than later!

Good luck
John

You might consider a "intermediate" engine and filter change depending on the oil you use and your normal service interval. Oil colour is a good guide. Putting the car on a trickle charger overnight is a good idea also if its garaged

Last edited:
Lengthen the journey. Allow 20 minutes and make sure the car does five miles or more (probably not fully up to temp until seven miles).

Leave a bit earlier and take a 10mile run, that would prolly get over all previous issues mentioned and you will enjoy the drive:D :D

As John mentioned, it will cause battery problems ... you're taking out more power than you're putting back in. Lead acid batteries are designed to be kept fully charged - they start to degrade (suffer damage) below 75% charge. And obviously at some point there won't be enough power left to start the car ;)

So, give it a good run whenever you can - or use a charger to keep it toppped up.

Thanks for the feedback - was wondering whether warming the car up for a bit would make any difference, it would appear not..

Wasn't aware of the 'bore wash' issues.. we tend to get a longer run in at some point during the week which keeps the battery topped up (I hope)...

Can't get Cara to use the Vespa anymore (nor would I insist due to bump :)) and I don't want to use the bike for such a short journey either for the same reasons..

A 10 mile run at 9am will take about an hour round here :rolleyes:

I quite enjoy the walk and will continue with this (rain or shine), Cara has about a month left before she stops work so I guess we'll keep the use to minimum and make sure we get a longer trip at the weekends - good excuse for a drive..

Waiting for GWizzes to get cheap ;)

Cheers

Ade

Last edited:
Seeing its only a short-term thing why not book a cab every day? It would be about £3 a trip over that short distance.

Thanks for the feedback - was wondering whether warming the car up for a bit would make any difference, it would appear not..

Wasn't aware of the 'bore wash' issues.. we tend to get a longer run in at some point during the week which keeps the battery topped up (I hope)...

Can't get Cara to use the Vespa anymore (nor would I insist due to bump :)) and I don't want to use the bike for such a short journey either for the same reasons..

A 10 mile run at 9am will take about an hour round here :rolleyes:

I quite enjoy the walk and will continue with this (rain or shine), Cara has about a month left before she stops work so I guess we'll keep the use to minimum and make sure we get a longer trip at the weekends - good excuse for a drive..

Waiting for GWizzes to get cheap ;)

Cheers

Ade

Read the crash test reports on G Wizes before you buy. Safer on a skateboard. ;)

http://auto-it.blogspot.com/2007/05/crash-bang-wallop-try-not-to-crash-your.html

Last edited:
Agreed about the G-Wiz, it's garbage. The problem is that it's being sold as a car but it isn't, it's a quadracycle so doesn't have to meet car legislation.

A plug in Toyota prius would do or a NICE Citycar.

I would think about an electric car for short journeys.

SEE.

Re GWizz and crash tests, thats why I'm waiting for the prices to come down... they're down to <£4k as everyone panics and off loads them ;)

£10k+ for a Nice vehicle with a 100mile radius and 40mph top speed is not an option open to us..

Still got to be statistically safer than a motorbike which is my principle urban transport - in 10 years in London I've seen one car crash; driver A turned left across a bus lane and got t-boned by driver B who was undertaking on said buslane - shouting ensued but not much else.

Seen numerous other prangs of all flavours (buses, cyclists, scooters, pedestrians etc..)

Ade

Agreed about the G-Wiz, it's garbage. The problem is that it's being sold as a car but it isn't, it's a quadracycle so doesn't have to meet car legislation.

A plug in Toyota prius would do or a NICE Citycar.

I would think about an electric car for short journeys.

SEE.

Or how about a nice BMW........

Last edited:
Just as a point of interest.......did you know that the reason those bubble cars had a sunroof was to give you a point of entry/exit in case anyone parked too close and you couldnt use the front opening door - and it didnt have a reverse gear...........:eek:

Just as a point of interest - did you know the original batch of those "cars" actually used a real Messerschmitt cockpit canopy?
I havent driven one, but was a backseat passenger once. Talk about a rough ride..............

"was wondering whether warming the car up for a bit would make any difference, it would appear not"

And cold idling is certainly something to avoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom