Single speeding FPN adds HOW MUCH to insurance renewal?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did you mean my price Oldbarrack??

In your opinion(s) should a dash cam reduce your premium?

Not specifically, no, but you seem to be fully paying for your E350, as it's a great car, but as you point out, the Skyline one would assume to be a rather greater risk to any insurer.

I think a dash cam would only be of help in the event of an accident in proving you were not at fault, not in reducing policy cost.

I experienced an Albanian lorry driver falling, along with a pallet lift, into the side/front of my wifes formerly used BMW Touring, wretched thing, I really must sell that.
On that occasion, I immediately wrote a statement of full admission and liability for him and made him sign it along with photos of him, his truck parked over a zebra crossing and the clear car damage, all whilst we were both still in shock.
However, that prove most useful, as the thieving insurance company only sent a man to replace the broken passenger door glass, but not the cracked front screen or grazed/dented bodywork;
all of that required the intervention of my own insurers, who were successful in getting all works done and not penalising me at the next renewal.

There is one insurance company, Aviva I think, who will fit a device or maybe phone app, to determine your level of driving safety ability;
I personally would not accept any further such intrusion into my life than damn android,, I suspect from your comments, neither would you!

Underwriters have got to recover their £multi billion losses on the recent flooding claims somehow, and even more so following massive losses on their investment portfolios.

if you don’t like the price - there are plenty of alternate brokers and underwriters.

Why should it? If you can no longer drive the car that's an advantage for the insurer (less risk). And the chance of it being stolen etc. isn't affected by you being banned.

...and if there are other named drivers on the policy, then surely they can still use the car?

Not specifically, no, but you seem to be fully paying for your E350, as it's a great car, but as you point out, the Skyline one would assume to be a rather greater risk to any insurer.

I think a dash cam would only be of help in the event of an accident in proving you were not at fault, not in reducing policy cost.

I experienced an Albanian lorry driver falling, along with a pallet lift, into the side/front of my wifes formerly used BMW Touring, wretched thing, I really must sell that.
On that occasion, I immediately wrote a statement of full admission and liability for him and made him sign it along with photos of him, his truck parked over a zebra crossing and the clear car damage, all whilst we were both still in shock.
However, that prove most useful, as the thieving insurance company only sent a man to replace the broken passenger door glass, but not the cracked front screen or grazed/dented bodywork;
all of that required the intervention of my own insurers, who were successful in getting all works done and not penalising me at the next renewal.

There is one insurance company, Aviva I think, who will fit a device or maybe phone app, to determine your level of driving safety ability;
I personally would not accept any further such intrusion into my life than damn android,, I suspect from your comments, neither would you!

The Aviva Drive App isn't a proper black box, instead it is more of a marketing gimmick than anything, I have done this on several occasions (only to later discover that you only need to do it once... but it was great fun anyway), it's very basic since it runs on your phone and only measures acceleration, deceleration, and lateral G. There's no checking of speed limits or other driver behaviour that a proper black box would. And there's no way for Aviva to verify who the driver actually was... but it does get you up to 20% off your policy, which is nice.

That said, on a multi-car policy (which is what I have) you only get the discount on the first car; if I separated the multi-car policy into two policies then I would have been able to claim 20% of each car... though I would have lost whatever discount I got from having a multi-car policy.

Underwriters have got to recover their £multi billion losses on the recent flooding claims somehow, and even more so following massive losses on their investment portfolios.

Underwriters could substantially reduce costs by using a more time effective system/s.

Just one example being the (10 years ago!) the then £60/per car, per day, they used to pay storage facility for keeping the car outside, sometimes for months, whilst awaiting sale.

My own insurers also employed a 3rd party assessor to drive over 300 miles just to read out my emailed written statement prior to signing it, their costs wastage list is both very long and thereby expensive.

Not criticising the op but can anyone clarify whether spending fpn's need to be declared straight away to insurance companies?

I always thought it added about 10% into premium for a fixed penalty 3 points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom