SL 55 TOO LOUD!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Points 2 & 4 I agree with.
I don't do either, unless someone asks to hear it.
👍 10 years ago I used to commute on a Ducati (with a rather nice and loud exhaust), and coming back through New Cross one night the fella in the car next to me grinned like a Cheshire Cat and asked me to give it some beans - of course I obliged. He turned round to the driver, and said “that’s what I’m talking about” - it was music to my ears too.

You might want to also check the engine mounts because if they collapse, it could cause the exhaust to touch the body and resonate through the frame which will make it sound a lot loader. That car should only be load when you get on it.

Thanks - it isn't that. It's perfect at normal speeds, and I love the sound when accelerating. It's just at 80 and above on a long drive on the motorway it would be great to switch it off!

Glad this thread has provoked discussion! Of course we're all schoolboys enjoying a burbly exhaust and an occasional shove in the back, why grow up? If I was a grown up I wouldn't have an SL55!

I'm putting the stock boxes back shortly and will contact someone about the switch system just as soon as my post count reaches 30 and I'm allowed to send a PM!!

They do sound good but nothing compares to the larger F1 engines for me. I still remember standing on the first corner of Silverstone in 2000 and the sound of the engines making your chest vibrate:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They do sound good but nothing compares to the larger F1 engines for me. I still remember standing on the first corner of Silverstone in 2000 and the sound of the engines making your chest vibrate:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Personally, that time period had the best sounding engines for me. They would redline at just under 20,000 rpm. I can relate to the enormous amount of power in the sound. I recall that it was impossible to communicate with my friend who was standing next to me during the first few laps of a race ( when they were all bunched up ) even though I was yelling in his ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom