SL55 Performance Pack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guy

Car
Maserati Quattroporte : Brabus A200CDi D3 : E300TDT
SL 55 AMG with Performance Package: Based on the official FIA Safety Car from the 2002 Formula 1 season

SL55PP1.jpg

• Striking front apron with additional oil cooler
  • Sporty AMG chassis with Active Body Control
  • Multi-piece 19-inch AMG twin-spoke wheels with mixed tyres
Affalterbach, Jun 12, 2003

Racing technology comes to the road: with the addition of the new AMG-Performance Package, the Mercedes-Benz SL 55 offers a driving experience which is more dynamic than ever. Developed by Mercedes-AMG, this high-performance version of the successful roadster is a compelling tour de force with looks and technology closely derived from the official FIA Safety Car used in last year's F1 Grand Prix season.

The SL 55 AMG with the Performance Package owes its enhanced dynamic characteristics to an extensive range of revisions to its body, engine cooling system, brakes and suspension. The design of the striking front apron, which dominates the nose of the vehicle, recalls the look of the Formula 1 Safety Car. Larger cooling-air intakes and an additional engine-oil cooler ensure that the AMG V8 super-charged powerplant - whose peak power and torque levels are unchanged at 368 kW/500 hp and 700 newton metres respectively - is maintained at the optimum operating temperatures during sporty driving.

SLPP2.jpg

Brake system and chassis set-up from the Formula 1 Safety Car

For optimum braking performance, sensitivity and resistance to fading, the front wheels of the SL 55 AMG with the Performance Package are equipped with a composite steel brake system. Measuring 380 mm in diameter (as opposed to 360 mm in the standard version), the internally ventilated and perforated grey cast-iron discs feature floating callipers and have a greater thermal capability. All the dynamic handling systems associated with the electrohydraulic Sensotronic Brake Control (SBC) system have been optimised for the new brake system. Together, all these measures borrowed directly from the Formula 1 Safety Car deliver reliable stopping power at all times - even under the extreme conditions encountered when braking from racing speeds.

The SL 55 AMG with the Performance Package also draws on its Formula 1 coun-terpart when it comes to the chassis set-up and the choice of wheels and tyres. The Mercedes-AMG engineers based the configuration on the set-up used by official FIA Safety Car driver Bernd Mayländer on all the F1 Grand Prix circuits. New spring struts with firmer spring and damper settings for the Active Body Control (ABC) system provide an even more direct and responsive driving experience. Impressive looks and superb engineering come together in the multi-piece 19-inch AMG twin-spoke wheels. 255/35 ZR 19 tyres are fitted to the 8.5 x 19-inch front wheels while the 9.5 x 19-inch rear wheels are equipped with 285/30 ZR 19 tyres.

SLPP3.jpg
Images and text courtesy DaimlerChrysler AG

Wow....can I buy one on HP over, say, 20 years!

I need it.

Steve

Maybe whhen the kids have left home and I sell my house I could buy one and live in it!!!!!!!!!!!

Love those side vents :) Shame they didn't include the lights and decals though...

sl55front.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom