Soft top cleaning/protection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Y15HAL

SUPPORTER
Car
R107 500SL, R129 SL500, W124 320CE, BMW 535i
Good Afternoon,

What are people using for soft top cleaning/protection?

I've read that Renovo or Fabsil are meant to be pretty good.....

Just thought i'd post on people's cleaning/protecting processes :)

Thanks,
Vishal

I have purchased some Fabsil Gold and Johnson’s shampoo. I will clean the roof with the shampoo and APC. Not sure when I will get around to it.

I have previously used the MB products. I needed a couple of cleaners and 3 bottles of protectant. It did come out well but I was not impressed with the longevity or beading properties. The cost of the MB products is pretty steep too when compared to Autoglym or Fabsil.

Will see how Fabsil performs, all research indicates that it will perform really well.

Hi,
I have used Renovo products and the genuine Audi products for both my Audi and Mercedes Convertibles and can recommend both.
The Audi products were a lot cheaper than I thought they would be.
I have also used the Autoglym products and wasn't that impressed.

This is a frequently asked question, Renovo and Autoglym are 2 frequently recommended sets of products, I have personal experience of the Renovo and was really pleased with the results. Fabsil is a waterproofer but does not clean or recolour the roof, so it has use for annual top-up of the waterproofing only. Milton is often mentioned for removing green algae, as is baby shampoo for cleaning.

Didn't know you can use baby shampoo for cleaning :D

Might do that, and use renovo ultra proofer for the coating.....

Are people brushing this on? I read on a review where someone sprayed on, and brushed in, this way, using much les product, giving you the ability to use for multiple coats.

I should have mentioned, I intend on using Johnson’s baby shampoo (blue bottle). Quite a few people have recommended it.

I should have mentioned, I intend on using Johnson’s baby shampoo (blue bottle). Quite a few people have recommended it.

Thought the baby shampoo was the clear bottle/yellow in colour.....Not that it would make any difference 🤣

I used Renovo on my mx5, the cleaner took the green mildew tint off the hood and the treatment after meant that water wouldn’t touch the surface, it just beaded off.

Hi,
I have used Renovo products and the genuine Audi products for both my Audi and Mercedes Convertibles and can recommend both.
The Audi products were a lot cheaper than I thought they would be.
I have also used the Autoglym products and wasn't that impressed.

Renovo all the time.

Another vote for Renovo (all products) , Fabsil Gold which I buy in 2.5L containers to keep the cost down .
Milton baby bottle sterilising tablets are good for killing the green algae , along with the Johnsons baby to finish off

Just a note - if you use Renovo colourant after cleaning and before proofing, beware, that stuff is thinner than water and gets everywhere, is easy to clean off the paintwork when wet but a bitch when dry (ask me how I know!!) so mask up well. Drain channel between the roof and boot lid etc. I applied the colourant with a 2" foam brush in one hand and a lump of cotton rag in the other, and was cleaning it from hidden places for months afterwards! Also the instructions say do not fold the roof for at least 24 hours after applying the colourant or you will get light coloured crease marks. Guess who folded the roof too early and found the instructions were correct!! However, I did my 968 cab just after I bought it, re-proofed it a few times with Renovo or Fabsil aerosol spray ('cos I had a part empty can of it), then after 7 years gave it the proper Renovo soap clean and rinse and was amazed how well it came up, almost as good as just after I'd recoloured it! Helped sell the car when I PX'd it for my SLK!

I have tried Renovo cleaner, restorer and ultra proofer; 303 Aerospace cleaner and repellant; and Carpro C-Quartz Hydrophobic fabric coat with a canvas fabric dye whose name I forget on both my old R129 and my current XKR. I've gone back to using Renovo which I think gives me the best results. But whichever you use, as mentioned by Chrishazle, be sure to mask your windows and paintwork as it is a nightmare to remove when dry. However careful you are, it will run off the roof or spray off the brush in small droplets. I always mask off my windows, doors, bonnet (hood) and boot (trunk) lid but still find a random spot that has beaten my best efforts!

You and me both edgersoldchap, I was finding spots of the colourant for months after doing the job, despite my best efforts with masking and rag! I found a strong finger nail useful for getting the dried on bits off!

I've never tried that. Do you put it on body panels as well as windows? Any pitfalls to be careful of?

I just put them around all the windows including windscreen and rear glass, sticks on really well and comes off really easy. A little spray of water helps. Never had any issues. I did buy a hugh roll of the stuff and do not think I will ever run out...

As on most Merc’s, the windows roll up when the doors are closed and cling film is perfect for this.

I have successfully used Black Boot polish on my Merc and BMW soft tops. It's no different to protecting a wax proofed jacket. Just use a shoe brush and use a circular motion. Takes a bit longer than a 4 inch brush but gets right into the fabric.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom