Squealing noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaffajim0

Car
E class estate
I have 2 problems that have appeared in the last couple of weeks on my 17' plate E220d. the first is a squealing noise when coasting or accelerating which stops as soon as I touch the brakes. It seems to be more left hand side and is very intermittent. It tends to start happening when the car has warmed up but can come and go as it pleases. The second is a judder under braking. It is not really noticeable under light braking but if I have to apply a bit more then it is very obvious. Any ideas and also if these would be warranty issues? I have had the car since May from a main dealer. The worry I have with warranty issues is this thing about if it's a new fault that's developed or something that was there when sold. I wouldn't care if the selling dealer was not a 2 + hour drive away.

Firstly, according to the Consumer Rights Act 2015, any faults discovered during the first 6 months of ownership are automatically assumed to have been present at the time of sale, unless the dealer can prove otherwise.

Then, the noise you describe could be due to a leaking hose, vacuum or turbo, etc.

The brakes judder could be due to warped discs, but there could be other causes as well. The first step would be to replace the front discs and pads are see if the problem comes back (which, sadly, it might), then take it from there.

Given that you only bought the car 2-3 months ago, both issues should definitely be addressed by the selling dealer under warranty.

BTW, is this an MB Approved Used car bought from an MB dealer? Ot bought from a non-franchised dealer/trader?

Then, the noise you describe could be due to a leaking hose, vacuum or turbo, etc.

The brakes judder could be due to warped discs, but there could be other causes as well. The first step would be to replace the front discs and pads are see if the problem comes back (which, sadly, it might), then take it from there.

Given that you only bought the car 2-3 months ago, both issues should definitely be addressed by the selling dealer under warranty.

BTW, is this an MB Approved Used car bought from an MB dealer? Ot bought from a non-franchised dealer/trader?
Approved used from Ashford MB in Kent which is a different franchise to my local one in Reading. I've already had a palaver with a paint problem so I really don't want to go back to them if I can help it.

Approved used from Ashford MB in Kent which is a different franchise to my local one in Reading. I've already had a palaver with a paint problem so I really don't want to go back to them if I can help it.

This is a bit tricky.

The Approved Used warranty can be claimed at any MB dealer, BUT there are still certain things that can only be claimed from the actual supplying dealer.

So you could start with your local dealer and see what they say. If they are willing to carry-out both repairs under warranty, then fine.

If not, then your first option will be to ask the supplying dealer if they are willing to pay the local dealer for the repairs, and save you tbe trip back to them.

If they refuse, then you will have no choice but to take the car to the supplying dealer.

Now, the brakes and possibly also the hose might not be covered by the Approved Used warranty. In this case you need to make clear to the supplying dealer that under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 they have to fix all faults in the first 6 months (thats your statutory right, nothing to do with whatever warranty MB provided with the car).

Now, the brakes and possibly also the hose might not be covered by the Approved Used warranty. In this case you need to make clear to the supplying dealer that under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 they have to fix all faults in the first 6 months (thats your statutory right, nothing to do with whatever warranty MB provided with the car).
Thanks for all that. If I ring my local MB dealership and tell them the problems I have and that it is under warranty are they likely to have it in or tell me to contact Ashford on the strength of what I tell them?? Also, if they look at it and find problems that the selling dealership are liable for will they charge me any labour?? Sorry for my inexperience but the last car I bought from a main dealer never had any problems so I'm a newbie at these sorts of issue.

Hey bro, ive got the exact same issue with my e220D please tell me you found out what the issue was!!????

Hey bro, ive got the exact same issue with my e220D please tell me you found out what the issue was!!????
I took it to my local MB dealer who found the rear nearside brake pad had been installed incorrectly. They replaced the pads and disc on the rear axle at the selling dealerships expense. The squealing has gone away but the judder is still there at motorway speeds so I have to book it in again for further investigation. An ex mechanic friend of mine suggests I could just be really unlucky and the new discs are warped or possibly a problem with the hubs.

I took it to my local MB dealer who found the rear nearside brake pad had been installed incorrectly. They replaced the pads and disc on the rear axle at the selling dealerships expense. The squealing has gone away but the judder is still there at motorway speeds so I have to book it in again for further investigation. An ex mechanic friend of mine suggests I could just be really unlucky and the new discs are warped or possibly a problem with the hubs.
Ok, and i had a judder same as yours, all i had to do was have my tyres rebalanced and it went away. Give that a go for a few quic

I have 2 problems that have appeared in the last couple of weeks on my 17' plate E220d. the first is a squealing noise when coasting or accelerating which stops as soon as I touch the brakes. It seems to be more left hand side and is very intermittent. It tends to start happening when the car has warmed up but can come and go as it pleases. The second is a judder under braking. It is not really noticeable under light braking but if I have to apply a bit more then it is very obvious. Any ideas and also if these would be warranty issues? I have had the car since May from a main dealer. The worry I have with warranty issues is this thing about if it's a new fault that's developed or something that was there when sold. I wouldn't care if the selling dealer was not a 2 + hour drive away.
Does squealing stop when you lift foot off the throttle or when you brake. ? If it’s only when braking you might have one fault , sometimes you can check a disc is warped by taking the wheel and turning it if it’s bad you will see it moving closer to brake pad and out again , if it’s minor warp clamp something to the caliper have it just touching the disc and turn to see if it moves tighter to it or further from it. I saw a guy once setting a breeze block on its end in tight against the disc and when he turned the disc it was clear it was not turning true .

I would be checking for sticky sliders on the calipers.

Good news, I hope 🤞
Selling dealer took it back and replaced front discs and pads and cleaned the hubs. Had a good drive from Reading to Nottingham and back over 2 days and I seem to have my car back☺️
I now have a car with brand new discs and pads front and back and enjoy driving it again.
I have seen another post where someone’s discs kept warping so I won’t count my chickens but so far so good and I have to say you can only judge a dealership on how they rectify faults. MB Ashford have covered all this under warranty which is what I wanted and some would say what I was entitled to but discs and pads are consumables and not covered under warranty unless, of course, the fault was there when I bought it which, to be honest, I couldn’t prove as it wasn’t evident until 3 months in to my ownership.
So far I’m a happy bunny and I have to give credit to MB Ashford.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom