Steel wheels for r107 1981

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V8rumbler

Car
sl500
I have a 1981 R107 . I want to get a set of steel wheels . They will need to be 14’’ as they will have the colour coded hub caps . Does anyone have a set ? I seem to be struggling to find any . Plenty of Mexican Hat alloys are always for sale .

Don't know if this will help or hinder....
A forum member here (Charles Morgan) rebuilt a W114 and sourced 15'' steel wheels and hub caps for it. Visually, they worked perfectly (and broadened tyre choice IIRC). He had to paint the hub cups - with the stencil tool.

He had a thread designated to the build. The wheel info is close to the end of it.

I agree the 15’’ does look a lot better but 15’’ trims are very rare , only used on a few cars and therefore very hard to find & very expensive .

I bought a set of refurbished steel wheels from Rory @ r107 Parts Ltd | eBay Stores give him a call as they normally don't get onto ebay.

20200611170115-cf60ae08-me.jpg

Ok can I have size & part numbers please ? Do you have pics ?
Probably be quicker for you to ascertain width from 1980 W123 200 data. They are 14'' diameter.
I can do photos but kinda busy just now so will be a while before I get the chance.
They are currently fitted with studded winter tyres (off road use only) which are probably obscuring any part number (and making measuring the width difficult). They'd need to come off for shipping.
Wheels are scruffy - they've lain around for decades but indoors. Not sure if they would refurb to a standard where they were in sight but behind trims - no problem. I'll provide photos for you to decide.
If you want them - if you cover my costs in getting the tyres removed and organise a courier (I am in NE Scotland (AB55) - some regard it as Highlands) they're yours.

They are the skinniest of W123 wheels I think. I removed them and replaced them with steels from a W126 IIRC (though could have been from a W123 280?).

Just remembered - they are the slotted style. The (W126?) replacements were perforated.

If the wheels as fitted originally to a W114 are of use to you - why not PM Charles Morgan and ask what became of the set he removed when he went to 15'' rims?

Probably be quicker for you to ascertain width from 1980 W123 200 data. They are 14'' diameter.
I can do photos but kinda busy just now so will be a while before I get the chance.
They are currently fitted with studded winter tyres (off road use only) which are probably obscuring any part number (and making measuring the width difficult). They'd need to come off for shipping.
Wheels are scruffy - they've lain around for decades but indoors. Not sure if they would refurb to a standard where they were in sight but behind trims - no problem. I'll provide photos for you to decide.
If you want them - if you cover my costs in getting the tyres removed and organise a courier (I am in NE Scotland (AB55) - some regard it as Highlands) they're yours.

They are the skinniest of W123 wheels I think. I removed them and replaced them with steels from a W126 IIRC (though could have been from a W123 280?).
On the front of the wheel there will be a part number & a size stamped ie 6jx14. It is stamped between the stud holes

5. 1/2J.
Looking at them again - I doubt they're what you're after. Not enough offset. They'd be buried inside the wheel arch.

Just remembered - they are the slotted style. The (W126?) replacements were perforated.

If the wheels as fitted originally to a W114 are of use to you - why not PM Charles Morgan and ask what became of the set he removed when he went to 15'' rims?
Thanks - unfortunately as I am a fairly new member I am unable to Pm yet

5. 1/2J.
Looking at them again - I doubt they're what you're after. Not enough offset. They'd be buried inside the wheel arch.
Yes 5.5j is too narrow - thanks for your help though

On the front of the wheel there will be a part number & a size stamped ie 6jx14. It is stamped between the stud holes

Yes 5.5j is too narrow - thanks for your help though
The wheels I replaced them with were wider - 6J I think. Pretty sure they were from an S-Class. Might be worth looking beyond W123 to W126.

If the W114 wheels would work, just wait until you have a few more posts and PM CM. Unlikely he still has them - but he'll know where they went.

The tyres are Flaken 205/70/14, I don't remember the wheel part number, they are the original type with cooling fins on the inside.

1586202085912-png.2626932
That's the type I had on my W123 as replacements. From a W126 or W123 280 - definitely mine came from a saloon not an SL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom