Steering wheel change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wenglish

Car
MERCEDES
Hi guys hope your all well just just a quick one if possible i have today had my first real modification delivered for the newly purchased E63, i used jack again from Royal Steering wheels in Aylesbury to do a re trim on the steering wheel.

The last time I used the company was a few years ago on my old s212 but it was all fitted for me by jack on the way to Luton airport for a holiday unfortunately that’s not the case this time and I’ve had the new steering wheel delivered to me today for me to get fitted locally or by myself, i then have to send mine back once the new one is fitted to obtain my deposit back so I’m looking to get it fitted ASAP

Has anyone ever swapped over a wheel on the E class ? Is it straightforward or am I best taking it somewhere to have it fitted ? It’s just a newly trimmed AMG steering wheel so I will need to take off all the silver trim and electrical stuff from the original wheel and transfer it over to the new one.

Any help would be very grateful 😊 thank you

DISCLAIMER:
I am not a mechanic, just a keen DIYer so all risks are on you and I will not be liable for any liabilty from the use of this guide / help.

Very easy swap.
Disconnect battery and leave for 30 mins. This will stop any chance of the airbag being initiated by risidual / static charge and will also stop any airbag warning lights being activated. DO NOT RECONNECT UNTIL THE WHOLE JOB IS FINISHED.
Set steering wheel straight ahead.
Remove airbag (2 x pins underneath - Google it).
Undo central bolt this is a large inset allen headed bolt (10mm from memory but do check before you start). You will nead a breaker bar and some help to hold the steering wheel DO NOT USE THE STEERING LOCK TO HOLD THE WHEEL.
Unplug steering wheel from column (you'll see the single plug)
Remove steering wheel - DO NOT MESS ABOUT WITH THE COLUMN SHROUD WITH THE WHEEL REMOVED AS IT COULD DAMAGE THE STEERING WHEEL ANGLE SENSOR.
Swap brightwork and control to new wheel - This can be fiddly but is simple enough
Replace new wheel in reverse order. You may want to fit a new bolt (your choice).

Fire up the beast!

DISCLAIMER:
I am not a mechanic, just a keen DIYer so all risks are on you and I will not be liable for any liabilty from the use of this guide / help.

Very easy swap.
Disconnect battery and leave for 30 mins. This will stop any chance of the airbag being initiated by risidual / static charge and will also stop any airbag warning lights being activated. DO NOT RECONNECT UNTIL THE WHOLE JOB IS FINISHED.
Set steering wheel straight ahead.
Remove airbag (2 x pins underneath - Google it).
Undo central bolt this is a large inset allen headed bolt (10mm from memory but do check before you start). You will nead a breaker bar and some help to hold the steering wheel DO NOT USE THE STEERING LOCK TO HOLD THE WHEEL.
Unplug steering wheel from column (you'll see the single plug)
Remove steering wheel - DO NOT MESS ABOUT WITH THE COLUMN SHROUD WITH THE WHEEL REMOVED AS IT COULD DAMAGE THE STEERING WHEEL ANGLE SENSOR.
Swap brightwork and control to new wheel - This can be fiddly but is simple enough
Replace new wheel in reverse order. You may want to fit a new bolt (your choice).

Fire up the beast!
Thank you for your very detailed reply mate I really appreciate it 👍

I should have updated the thread sooner as I completed the straight forward swap yesterday exactly as you described 😊

unfortunately though I accidentally made a small tear where the holes are to remove the airbag on the original wheel as you will know from experience changing the wheel previously it’s very soft 🙈😩 one side though was very stubborn and simply wouldn’t budge

I used thread lock instead of a new bolt so hopefully it will be ok

Unfortunately due to the small amount of damage around the back of the wheel where the holes are I will now will be loosing £30 from my deposit for the damage but at least it’s done now and it looks and feels so much better i am extremely happy with it

Thanks again for your input though 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom