• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Storm Milton

We're pretty lucky in the UK to avoid weather conditions like the US and other countries get. Might get a bit windy here abouts but on the Fylde storms, floods and snow are very rare indeed. But I still moan about the weather though.;)

I've just seen this on the news.
So they are flying into the storm, but are surprised that all the loose stuff is thrown all over when they find turbulence.

I gotta wonder why the captain didn't ensure that the numpties had put stuff away safely. To avoid injury and broken stuff sort o' thing.
Reminds me of the time I was in the bar of a cable repair ship in the North Sea. The Tannoy sprang into life with the captain announcing “Drink your beer quickly - I’m going to have to turn into a couple of 20 footers [waves] and there’s no way round them.” Even the dregs in the bottoms of our tightly gripped glasses splashed out.

Yes but the BBC’s Michael Fish denied that there would be a storm in 1987. Look what happened then!
I'll get my coat.

Reminds me of the time I was in the bar of a cable repair ship in the North Sea. The Tannoy sprang into life with the captain announcing “Drink your beer quickly - I’m going to have to turn into a couple of 20 footers [waves] and there’s no way round them.” Even the dregs in the bottoms of our tightly gripped glasses splashed out.
A friend of mine from down your way recently passed away whose Dad was the chief engineer who laid the first cable - even had a nice piece of it mounted on a plinth

A friend of mine from down your way recently passed away whose Dad was the chief engineer who laid the first cable - even had a nice piece of it mounted on a plinth
The first undersea telegraph cable was laid between England and France in 1850. The first transatlantic telephone cable was laid in 1956. Your friend's dad was probably CE for the latter cable.

That transatlantic telephone cable was designated TAT-1 and laid by the GPO's cable ship Monarch. It was the predecessor to the identically named PO cable ship that introduced me to properly rough travel and extreme sea-sickness.

Yes but the BBC’s Michael Fish denied that there would be a storm in 1987. Look what happened then!
To be fair to him, he said there would not be a hurricane.....and technically he was right.....it was a severe storm but never reached the continuous wind speed required to be classified as a hurricane.

Much the same number here......but that's mainly because they cant afford it!!!!! 😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom