The good old days of testing diesel engines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tuercas viejas

MB Enthusiast
Car
landrover/rolls royce/MB AMG S600/Prius
I stumbled on an old narrative, some of you might find this funny or can relate:-

That a series of carbon deposits are very interesting and unusual to a morphologist !
Essentially its a shame you scrubbed them off and discarded the carbon products adhering to the EGR elements .

It might seem strange to the casual reader that I should be seeing those combustion deposits as of deep interest. To explain my past career was I had a stint in diesel engine performance in high altitudes with a Euro (UK) truck engine maker taking me to Bolivia in 1974 to do extended engine trials. Working as a young entry level guy at the time with some very capable engineers in product development, AEC, I learned a lot about combustion , injection timing , selective turbo charger operations, and coolant temperatures all working in sync to increase optimum power and minimize de-rating percentages of big truck engines at high altitudes above 18,000 ft in places like Potosi, high up in the Andes chain.

One of the team to fly out from London was morphologist & his job was to study carbon particles which back then were captured by a Hartridge exhaust opacity machine that trapped soot particles as they flew out of the exhaust tail pipe for given throttle opening . This boffin of a character was very involved in the study of yes, black exhaust carbon deposits as a by product of diesel engine combustion .

I distinctively remember one Friday evening out on the town in La Paz with the group as a whole, in one of the many bars & restaurants on Avenida Mexico, when the deep subject conversation began between this new morphologist guy intown and the chief engineer & was dominated by an isolated unsociable "boring "soot" symposium at the end of the table!
It continued well into the night over beers, chuflys , and then in taxi back to the hotel.

It even prompted a local Bolivian gal ,(one of a local female group ,chicas out on the town ) that had decided it was beneficial to pal up with Euro Gringos and share expensive Chufly drinks . She, (Florencia) one of them asked me "are those two guys lovers or something? I replied very casually "No "me carina", they are just :p discussing carbon particles from diesel engines.
Not speaking English, she was confused and clearly thought my Spanish explanation simply could not be true or misconstrued in the translation.!
So I had to explain further which she just shook her head in dismay Dios Mio GRINGOS!!!:p
At least three boring previous months in Havana were good to put a Cubano style explanation to the dismay!:👿
To which we ordered a round of Mojitos👍

Life in the tropics
Tuercas viejas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom