Thoughts on an evening out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Presumably on a cruise there are bars you can go to if you want a quiet drink rather than the entertainment? As the rest of it quite appeals to me. I like the idea of the various destinations coming to you and as I'm active for the rest of my time holidays are when I like to relax and do nothing.

Snobbery washes off me like water off a duck's back, learnt that skill as a northerner working for many years in London. Funnily enough it was only ever from the blokes, the girls seemed to quite like a bit of northern self-effacement and humour as a contrast to the brash entitled machismo they got elsewhere. It always makes me smile, as apart from certain areas of British life you are as posh as your money makes you.

Presumably on a cruise there are bars you can go to if you want a quiet drink rather than the entertainment? As the rest of it quite appeals to me. I like the idea of the various destinations coming to you and as I'm active for the rest of my time holidays are when I like to relax and do nothing.

Snobbery washes off me like water off a duck's back, learnt that skill as a northerner working for many years in London. Funnily enough it was only ever from the blokes, the girls seemed to quite like a bit of northern self-effacement and humour as a contrast to the brash entitled machismo they got elsewhere. It always makes me smile, as apart from certain areas of British life you are as posh as your money makes you.
Quiet bars - yep 100%
I never go watch the entertainment, can't be bothered. I think my wife has gone to see one show, but I can't even remember what it was.
Snobbery, I don't think I've encountered that on a cruise yet. I have however met some real lovely people.
We used to go to the standing dining for evening meals, but now we just pick my time dining so that we have a table to ourselves , as I can't be bothered listening to the Americans, and boy do they like to talk.

My patience just can't tolerate them for long, inside your thinking - would you ever shut the fcuk up for 5 minutes

Cruising I think is great, you wake up the following morning in a new place, and if you don't want to go explore, then fine, stay on the ship and relax in peace as most people go off.
The only thing I don't get, is the people who insist on going running on the jogging track in the baking heat.

Jokes aside I really don't think that cruising would be for me.

• I'm not good with crowds of people generally and tend to take touring holidays, in part, to avoid seeing the same people everyday.
  • Arriving in tourist traps en-masse.
  • The food can't be that great given the sheer scale of the operation, freshness must be an issue due to supply problems.
  • Pokey rooms.
  • All those people germs.
  • I like to have the car with me when visiting somewhere new as, almost always, the most interesting places are a few miles out of town.
  • The scenery.
  • People getting giddy over having dinner with the driver.
  • Everyone I have even met who enjoys cruising has tried to convince me how great it is despite my reassurances that it's not for me.
  • Jane Mcdonald.

• I'm not good with crowds of people generally and tend to take touring holidays, in part, to avoid seeing the same people everyday.
  • The food can't be that great given the sheer scale of the operation, freshness must be an issue due to supply problems.
  • Pokey rooms.
  • I like to have the car with me when visiting somewhere new as, almost always, the most interesting places are a few miles out of town.
  • The scenery.
  • Everyone I have even met who enjoys cruising has tried to convince me how great it is despite my reassurances that it's not for me.
  • Jane Mcdonald.

Go on ya daft grunter! :D

Pokey rooms, if you're going to go "budget" then you'll get a pokey room, we get a balcony room which is more than adequate.
We were upgraded once to a junior suite due to a cockup by the company on a previous cruise, but I would't be prepared to pay for one of those.

As for the food, I've not had one meal that I could complain about on the ship, varied menu every night and there are a quite a lot of things to choose from.
Freshness, every port it stops at seems to have lorry loads of produce coming on board.

I can understand, its not for everyone and that's fine

Junior suite.
oasis of the seas junior suite - Google Search:

I’m guessing pokey rooms are fine if you intend to use/enjoy the ships facilities to the max and explore the destinations. Pointless paying for a suite if you’re only going to sleep in it.

We have done one cruise - it was on a boat that had about 40 passengers and cruised between the Indonesian Islands overnight - thinking back we had a lovely time.

Stopped at places like Komodo (Komodo dragons in the days before OHS and were able to get really close to them) and lots of remote islands (read few tourists except us) doing tours and snorkelling in the reefs during the day. The boat just anchored off the islands and they took us ashore with zodiacs. Crew provided all the entertainment and it was a great time.

Reading this thread and thinking back has inspired me to talk to the wife -- start with a short trip to the fjords or similar. Problem is that she gets sea sick.

• Pokey rooms.
  • The scenery.
  • Jane Mcdonald.

Another two to add there for you DrF:

• Not good with forums either... (Ooofft!! I'll get ma coat...*Pattering of running feet* )
  • Rob Brydon

Becareful what you wish for, you may end up with a bedmate..Nuff Said!;)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And if the "Doctor" is anything like this (Grrrrr)

Doctor Who Official on Twitter

But then again, knowing how eclectic your taste is:

:p:p :D:D:D:D:D

7B0A48DC-5927-47A1-B2B1-5DB090511C6C.jpeg

:p:p :D:D:D:D:D

Nowt wrong with The Love Boat. I got it on my phone last year and played it full volume JUST as we boarded the Ship. My wife was laughing, my 12 year old daughter was not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom