• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Time for new front discs and pads

xf8u39

Car
CLK270 auto
Guys,
My 2005 CLK270 requires new discs and pads.
I have noticed when looking on eBay that some are 300mm and others are 330 The MTEC brand

I have measured the ones on my car, which are 300mm
If I decide to buy the 330's do I need different calipers or some kind of spacer to make up the increased diameter.

The car is fitted with 19" AMG alloys, which were on when I bought it.

Rgds
Michael.

Yes you'd need new calipers . New pads . You need the 300 mm discs

Ok, thanks.

If I wanted to upgrade to 330's are the correct calipers available.

I have jist been looking online and can't find any.

Michael.

Ok, thanks.

If I wanted to upgrade to 330's are the correct calipers available.

I have jist been looking online and can't find any.

Michael.

If a 330 disc is available for your car as you say there is , then obviously calipers will be available. 👍

It might also need new hubs , there is a possibility the calliper mounting holes are in a different position. The calliper could then touch the wheel......

This kind of modification needs detailed research.

Thanks for your help. However, I now have another issue.
I have bought the 300mm front discs but not yet the pads.
As it happens, I keep gettting a brake wear warning on the dash, amongst others, but that's another thread for another time.
I have looked at the calipers and can not see any wires that I would normally expect to find coming from the pads - front and rear.
Does anyone know how the pad wear is being measured?

Finally, the rear pads have worn down very close to their limit, so I will be replacing those at the weekend.
Now, the "handbrake" is not the usual type. I would like to know how best to change rear pads. Most rear calipers need a special tool with 2 prongs to wind the piston back in. Are mine the same, or is it a case of pushing the piston back like you would on the front.

Sorry for al the questions guys, but I work 6 days a week and only have Sunday (if it's not raining) to get jobs done. This is why I like to know in advance of any potential banana skins that may stop me from getting the job done.

Rgds

Michael.

Rear pistons simply push back in.

Your brake wear sensors look like this .

Look for the socket to plug them in somewhere on the hub . Some models have one sensor front and rear, maybe you chose the wrong side to check ??
Screenshot_20230516-133310.png

Do NOT attempt to replace the parking brake shoes without doing a fair bit of research . Replace the rear pads , thats the easy bit . The park brake is a whole different can of worms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom