• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Time for new Tyres on my CLS63

kritdawg

Car
CLS63 S AMG Shooting Brake
My car (2015 CLS63s SB) currently has the P zeros on it that were from the previous owner. Not overly impressed I am likely to end up back to Michelin. Firstly I would like to check that my tyre sizes are correct in the first place, you know what they say about assumption. I have 255/35 R19 on the front and 285/30 R19 on the back. Does this line up with others in terms of size, not sure the E63 has the same sizing?

Next question is anyone tried Michelin Pilot sport 5's? I have ran the Pilot sport 4 s's on my previous M135i and they were great! Downside is the 5's dont come in the correct sizes so would mean having 5's on the front and 4's on the back.

There doesnt appear to be many other options due the rear sizing. Eagle F1 Supersport (anyone got experience of these?), Pilot Sport 4S (front runner at this stage), P Zero (not impressed enough to have more of the same) and Pilot Super Sport (not great in the wet and the cold from my experience) appear to be the only options I would consider.

TIA, long time member and lurker :cool:

Tyre size seem like a match to E63. Both Pirelli and Michelin are great tyres to have 👍

I had P Zeros on mine when I bought it. I presume fitted from new as the car had 3800 miles on. They were plain dangerous. Couldn’t get Michelins for the rear, so opted for F1’s. They are night and day compared to the P Zeros. They grip even when I don’t expect them to. And they are quieter. Bonus!
Tyres seem to be improving constantly. I’m sure that whichever recommended tyres you go for you will be astounded by the improvement.

I had P Zeros on mine when I bought it. I presume fitted from new as the car had 3800 miles on. They were plain dangerous. Couldn’t get Michelins for the rear, so opted for F1’s. They are night and day compared to the P Zeros. They grip even when I don’t expect them to. And they are quieter. Bonus!
Tyres seem to be improving constantly. I’m sure that whichever recommended tyres you go for you will be astounded by the improvement.
How old were the Pzero when you removed them?

3 years old. Just awful tyres….
Not on a 63 but on a 350, but with the same size wheels/tyres I’ve had P Zero’s, which wore spectacularly slowly (perhaps helped by most mileage being long distance), and Conti Sport Contacts - which seem quieter and more secure at the rear (although the P Zero’s weren’t awful) which is helpful in the winter if not going to winter tyres. Appreciate I’m not putting quite so much power through them though - can imagine any tyre might get a little squirrelly under a 63… if the Michelin are too performance-orientated the Conti might be a decent compromise.

Appreciate I’m not putting quite so much power through them though - can imagine any tyre might get a little squirrelly under a 63… if the Michelin are too performance-orientated the Conti might be a decent compromise.
You'd be surprised. I'm pretty sure Michelin use witchcraft in their manufacturing process, I was dumfounded when I changed from Pilot Supersports to Pilot 4S's all round just how much grip was available (from the rear, most shockingly) - once at operating temperature they are incredible, even on a damp or wet road. The one thing I learned that day, was that all tyres are most definitely not created equal...

You'd be surprised. I'm pretty sure Michelin use witchcraft in their manufacturing process, I was dumfounded when I changed from Pilot Supersports to Pilot 4S's all round just how much grip was available (from the rear, most shockingly) - once at operating temperature they are incredible, even on a damp or wet road. The one thing I learned that day, was that all tyres are most definitely not created equal...
I have to agree, have had my PS4s a good few months, they were expensive, but had very good reviews, so pulled the trigger, and I have been impressed, was more impressed when I once had to do hard breaking stop in the wet, wow it was impressive, gives you the confidence in wet conditions.

I have to agree, have had my PS4s a good few months, they were expensive, but had very good reviews, so pulled the trigger, and I have been impressed, was more impressed when I once had to do hard breaking stop in the wet, wow it was impressive, gives you the confidence in wet conditions.
I've only just replaced the front tyres on mine, with the previous pair of 4S's having been on for approx. 22000 miles. They were still legal too, but the inner edges were down to the cords (which I was kind of expecting, but still shocking to see) so it was an MOT failure last week.

The rears still have just under 4mm on them and were replaced at the same time as the front's in November 2020.

I've only just replaced the front tyres on mine, with the previous pair of 4S's having been on for approx. 22000 miles. They were still legal too, but the inner edges were down to the cords (which I was kind of expecting, but still shocking to see) so it was an MOT failure last week.

The rears still have just under 4mm on them and were replaced at the same time as the front's in November 2020.
Might need to try Michelin next time then based on both your and Benz17’s experiences 😊

Conty contact Sport 6 are good tyres but don't last (6k) I had them on the w204 c63 but when I replaced the wheels on the w205 c63 I went with MPS4S and I have to agree they are a fantastic tyre 👍

My CLS63 is currently running Goodyear Eagle Assym 5’s (fitted by the previous owner). I have to say they are very good.

On my previous CLS63 I had Michelin Pilot Supersports and then Sport 4S fitted and both were excellent. On the rear I ran a size up at 295/30.

Conty contact Sport 6 are good tyres but don't last (6k) I had them on the w204 c63 but when I replaced the wheels on the w205 c63 I went with MPS4S and I have to agree they are a fantastic tyre 👍
Hello, just wondering about the Continental tyres you had, 6000 miles? I really like continentals but will be very cautious based on your info.

It was basically normal driving and all 4 inside edge's had worn the rears had started to break up exsposing cords in places 😳 I do notice most if not all AMGs wear the inside edges

Perhaps a level below what you're looking for but I've got Avon ZV7 on my C300 and they're spot on. The car came with them on the front, and it had Conti EcoContact on the rear, and there was a very noticeable improvement when they got replaced with more ZV7's. I know a C300 is putting out a lot less power than your C63, but there's a ton of grip on them, and no sign of any cracking or bad wear.

Edit: ignore me I've just seen the profile you need, am sure they will not be an option

Last edited:
My CLS63 is currently running Goodyear Eagle Assym 5’s (fitted by the previous owner). I have to say they are very good.

On my previous CLS63 I had Michelin Pilot Supersports and then Sport 4S fitted and both were excellent. On the rear I ran a size up at 295/30.
Prior to me changing to MPS4s, GY Assym 3, they were runflats, apart from the harsh ride tyres were less noisier then the PS4s as they has sound comfort, and the wear rate was also excellent, unfortunately couldn’t get them in NRF in the sizes I wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom