Timing chain problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercuser1

Car
c220
Hello everyone, first time poster here.

I have a 2004 reg C220 Kompressor. Bought brand new back then. Single owner (me). Has had regular servicing at MB dealerships. No accidents/crashes. During servicing or MOTs required components have been replaced with genuine parts. It has been working well and the ride is smooth. AC etc works perfectly.

When I recently started the car up, I noticed the engine seemed to be 'misfiring' and jerking when idle. I also noticed some thick white smoke coming from the exhaust for a few seconds, which eventually cleared up.

With running it and driving along the road, this shaking seemed to improve to a degree but was still noticeable.

I brought the car back into the driveway and called AA. They checked the computer and said it seemed an air sensor was not functioning per the diagnostic, and that this could be replaced at any mechanics, not necessary Benz. He said it did not seem to be anything serious, and there was no risk of the engine just breaking down on the way to any dealership or mechanic.

I drove the car to the Benz dealership that I have always taken it to over the past several years. I got a call back a few days later saying the car would not start up, and that they thought the problem was related to the timing chain, and that this would need to be replaced. They said it should cost about £2000 to fix, and I initially agreed to this.

However a couple of days later they called back and said that they haven't fully opened up the engine itself, but they think that the timing chain had broken while the car was being moved to the repair area from the on-site parking area, and that they think several injectors, pistons, sprockets etc had all been damaged when the chain snapped.

They estimated 25 hours of work to repair everything (at 200+ pounds per hour), excluding the cost of parts. The lowest estimate they can give me is £9000, but they have said (several of their staff) that it could be more than this.

The day before taking it to the dealers (before this juddering/shaking began) I was able to use the car fine and even drove it a long distance for a meeting and back. On the day I drove it to the dealers too, the car was turning on fine and working. It was obviously not a perfect car, given that it is quite old (and has 150,000+ miles on it), but it was at least running. They told me that they tried replacing the air sensor first, but that didn't work and the engine was still shaking, so they then put back the original air sensor, and had a look briefly without removing all the top part of the engine off and were able to see some damage to or slackening of the timing chain.

I have found out that there have been several reports of faulty timing chains being used on 2004-5 Benz car engines, and wonder if there is any responsibility on the part of MB regarding this. I just cannot believe that the car engine has undergone what sounds like a catastrophic damage while it was at the MB dealership! Have they damaged something while it was in their care?!

I am confused by the chain of events they described. The car was due for a service also so I booked it in for both service and to investigate this shaking engine problem. They completed the service apparently, and then moved it to the repair area for the shaking, and apparently the timing chain broke, and the car engine won't even start, and they've opened up the engine part way, but not fully, and believe that several components are broken.

Are they telling the truth or taking me for a ride??

That’s a tricky one!
The cars in their care and it broke whilst they were driving it so is it their responsibility? Full MB history? No goodwill on their part?
Is the car worth £9k to fix?
Keep us updated

Hello and welcome. The engine in your car has a well known weakness even if service all of it's life by MB. This weakness is well documented and discussed at length on this forum and on the internet.

it just seems you have not been aware of this as you have been happy with your car and the service it has given you, so why would you trawl the internet looking for trouble ?

No matter how long you have enjoyed your car and how much you have spent on servicing it my guess is that it is beyond economical repair and is now destined for the scrap yard.

If , on the other hand you have a 100% MB service history you may have a case for a claim, but that is unlikely. Let us know the outcome and best of luck.

If you like the car source a low mileage second hand engine and get it fitted by an indy garage.
Far cheaper that the 9000 mark...

I drove the car to the Benz dealership that I have always taken it to over the past several years. I got a call back a few days later saying the car would not start up, and that they thought the problem was related to the timing chain, and that this would need to be replaced.They said it should cost about £2000 to fix, and I initially agreed to this.

However a couple of days later they called back and said that they haven't fully opened up the engine itself, but they think that the timing chain had broken while the car was being moved to the repair area from the on-site parking area,and that they think several injectors, pistons, sprockets etc had all been damaged when the chain snapped.

They estimated 25 hours of work to repair everything (at 200+ pounds per hour), excluding the cost of parts. The lowest estimate they can give me is £9000, but they have said (several of their staff) that it could be more than this.

So they diagnosed a failing timing chain then drove the engine with a failing timing chain - which broke.
I'd focus on that aspect. If the chain was so bad (and it was) they should have pushed the car into the workshop. Good luck.

Realistically it is a 16 year old car with 150,000 miles that had relatively very little monetary value before the engine problem, timing chain problems have been well known on these engines but at the age and mileage of yours MB could argue you have had 16 years of service from it.

If the timing chain has broken it was going to do so regardless of who drove it or who started it.

As others have said, the car is scrap unless you can source a known good engine replacement.

and find a good indy if you buy another Merc - £200/hour - they are having a laugh

If they suspected the chain which they should have known about why drive it into the workshop?

At least couldnt they source recon engine from somewhere out of good will, or a credit to the value so the owner could do so.?

So the garage has the car recovered to them on a trailer.

It's a tough one for the them.

If they don't start the car and listen to the noise / check for issues, their only other option is to take off the cams cover and have have a poke around - and who'll pay for the labour if there's nothing wrong with the timing gear? Many things can cause erratic engine behaviour, i.e. injector, coil pack, etc.

If they do start the car, the engine might go.

So.... I think that rather that going on the war path, the OP should try and negotiate and see what if anything he can get out of the garage, then either scrap the car or try and sell it on eBay for spares.

I would have advised the customer going on what he said/described that the chain could be at fault, And charged the labour to take the cam cover off regardless.

It would be upto him then, I am unfamiliar with the m271 so dont know if there is a inspection hole or you do indeed have to take the cam cover off 1st to check.

To the Op, welcome to the forum :)

Sorry to hear of your misfortune,all things considered I would see what you can get for the £9,000 estimated repair cost in regards a suitable replacement-good luck.

First get a valuation of your 2004 150,000mile w203 car in good nick as a runner before this happened . Calibrate this figure against the cost of repair parts and labour to see if a repair was ever going to be viable.
Second- an MB dealer should be very familiar with this weakness in the M271 engine and should not have run it at all as timing gear wear is easily discernable by visual inspection. Exactly when the initial damage occurred is unclear from the events described and although the chain itself broke while in their care the damage may already have been started
Unless you are particularly attached to the car I would reconcile yourself that after 150k and 15 years its the end of the line for the old bus and save your money for a replacement

Let's put it this way:

The original quote for sorting-out the timing gear was £2,000.

I recon that the car before the fault was worth less than that.

So the car was in negative equity when it got to the garage... the OP did not suffer any financial loss due to the fact that the car can no longer be repaired and need to be scrapped.

Knowing the potential problem with the M271 engine I have already done the mental arithmetic of what the depreciation will be if mine gets scrapped by a chain or sprocket failure. It's just over10 years old now so in a few more years any major repair will scrap it, but should it last until 16 years old it will have cost me only £725 per year in depreciation. That's cheap motoring by any measure so I wouldn't be at all unhappy. Given it's only done 68,000 miles so far there is every chance it will last that long, providing of course rear subframe rot doesn't finish it first !

The main dealer would be well aware of the likely cause of the problems that you were having and also the fact that it may have rendered a 16 yr old car scrap. In that situation why would they complete the service first - it just makes no sense - other than to relieve your wallet of the cost of the service.

Would the op mind sharing with us which main dealer this is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom