• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Timing chain tensioner replacement 2014 S212 220CDI advice required

PEHARDMAN

Car
2014 E220 CDI AUTO SE EST
Hi all I have a, from now, 2014 S212 E class 220CDI with 245k miles (it’s been almost faultless to-date). Occasionally on cold start up I get a loud rattle for a couple of seconds, having read up I have bought a OEM tensioner to fit A 651 050 08 00 64. On the face of it it seems an easy enough job to change it, my question is do I need to set the engine to TDC or not reading up some do and some don’t? If so how do I set the engine position to TDC? Has anybody got the Merc procedures for changing the tensioner etc.
Thanks in advance.

DO NOT REPLACE THE TENSIONER.

This is internet myth. The problem you have is a worn-out timing system. A new tensioner will damage it further.

Update:- new tensioner solved noisy cold starts! So replaced the tensioner, watched this vid which showed me what to do, simple enough job. The first start was so noisy for about two seconds (scary) but has totally solved my noisy cold starts.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fingers crossed that's a long term fix.
Perhaps you could let us know if not.

Fingers crossed that's a long term fix.
Perhaps you could let us know if not.
It reduces the cold start backlash but doesn't fix anything. In fact it will accelerate degradation of the timing system.

Update:- new tensioner solved noisy cold starts! So replaced the tensioner, watched this vid which showed me what to do, simple enough job. The first start was so noisy for about two seconds (scary) but has totally solved my noisy cold starts.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Can I please have your old tensioner? I need a worn out tensioner to test the chain stretch on my 200k mile parts engine.

Can I please have your old tensioner? I need a worn out tensioner to test the chain stretch on my 200k mile parts engine.
If your in the UK I would be happy to pop it in the post to you, dm me your address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom