• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Tire Life

Looking to replace the nearly new but unwanted Dunlop on front and Pirelli’s on rear on my JCW, haplessly replaced by the Indy it was purchased from. Knowing me for many years as he does, I need to ask my good friend and Indy garage owner to mileage warranty the Michelin‘s I’ve just ordered. 😳🙄🤔 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

There’s just so many factors here that tyre wear measured in miles covered is almost pointless. You change them when they need changing, that’s it :)

Some tyres will wear better than others. For certain the Michelins on my GL are outlasting the Pirellis it came to me with by some margin.

It’s a bit like asking people how much they pay for insurance ;)

Ask MB how many miles they get out of a set of tyres on their ‘ex demonstrator’ cars at Brooklands, you know the ones that are gently used around the little track 🤣
I think you worked out why the track days? hours! cost what they do.

Car passed its MOT with an advisory on the front tires (5.2.3(e) tires worn close to legal limit.
Passenger front (max 4.25, average 3.38, min 2.23) Driver front (max 3.99 , average 3.47 , min 2.61)
I looked at what the mm limit should be for an advisory but cannot find one... they must do it by eye).

Interestingly enough, when I bought the car, it had a very small edge crack in the top drivers side corner outside the wipers swept area.
Sometimes this appeared as an advisory on the MOT, but not always. I investigated the matter and it seems that not all MOT testers understand the rules which refer ONLY to cracks in the wipers swept area with a smaller crack limits in zone A of the wipers swept area (290mm wide).

Cracks outside the wipers swept area don't result in an advisory or fail UNLESS the cracks compromise the integrity of the windscreen. As I read it, anyway. The screen on my car is a replacement which I think was done in cold weather. I am probably going to get a replacement screen in summer on the insurance s/t the excess.

Car passed its MOT with an advisory on the front tires (5.2.3(e) tires worn close to legal limit.
Passenger front (max 4.25, average 3.38, min 2.23) Driver front (max 3.99 , average 3.47 , min 2.61)
I looked at what the mm limit should be for an advisory but cannot find one... they must do it by eye).

Interestingly enough, when I bought the car, it had a very small edge crack in the top drivers side corner outside the wipers swept area.
Sometimes this appeared as an advisory on the MOT, but not always. I investigated the matter and it seems that not all MOT testers understand the rules which refer ONLY to cracks in the wipers swept area with a smaller crack limits in zone A of the wipers swept area (290mm wide).

Cracks outside the wipers swept area don't result in an advisory or fail UNLESS the cracks compromise the integrity of the windscreen. As I read it, anyway. The screen on my car is a replacement which I think was done in cold weather. I am probably going to get a replacement screen in summer on the insurance s/t the excess.

I actually called the DVSA about an unreasonable advisory last year (on the Suzuki), the chap I spoke to was very understanding and agreed that the advisory made no sense, but said that unfortunately at current MOT testers can write whatever they want in an advisory and the DVSA cannot intervene, unless the current regulations are changed. He said that since the car passed, there's nothing that DVSA can do, and the MOT tester is allowed to write whatever they see fit as long as they didn't actually fail the car.

MOT history tells you nothing about how well a cars been looked after anyway so I don't know why people get so hung up on their own cars history or the number of advises....service records and paperwork do that...to a degree........it could have been hanging and barely road legal the day before the test!.....as long as you put all the bits they look at right the day before you get a clean MOT history. I don't care about advisory stuff on MOT history......just previous fails and any reoccurring structural issues.
Don't forget its only a limited number of purely safety related areas tested....the car could be a disaster in other areas!....and it will still pass!!

My handbrake only just passed last year (by 2%!).....so that was put down as an advise. Personally (I was a tester) I would have just had a word with the owner about it and not put it on the log. Its either passed or it hasn't in the case of handbrakes.....but my tester logged it. Am I bothered?....nah!

Last edited:
MOT history tells you nothing about how well a cars been looked after anyway so I don't know why people get so hung up on their own cars history or the number of advises....service records and paperwork do that...to a degree........it could have been hanging and barely road legal the day before the test!.....as long as you put all the bits they look at right the day before you get a clean MOT history. I don't care about advisory stuff on MOT history......just previous fails and any reoccurring structural issues.
Don't forget its only a limited number of purely safety related areas tested....the car could be a disaster in other areas!....and it will still pass!!

My handbrake only just passed last year (by 2%!).....so that was put down as an advise. Personally (I was a tester) I would have just had a word with the owner about it and not put it on the log. Its either passed or it hasn't in the case of handbrakes.....but my tester logged it. Am I bothered?....nah!

The Suzuki is mine, and I won't be selling it anytime soon, and when I finally do, no one will care that it had the odd advisory in 2022......

BUT you underestimate the power of OCD. It makes me feel nice an warm inside when I look at my car's PERFECT and unblemished all-green MOT history....... while the amber advisory does my head in :(

Yes, life is tough when you have OCD :D

LOL.....understood!!

Hankook is now regarded as a Premium Tyre
Blimey - I'd always thought comedy name tires were the cheap ones. When I bought this car to replace the c230k, my driving style changed overnight as I experimented to see how high I could get the mpg figure using the Eco mode. In the real world my old 30mpg tankfuls became at least 45mpg tankfulls. On long motorway journeys, I have got it to over 60mpg. I am now going to investigate measuring brake wear and disc thickness to see how well these are doing.

Blimey - I'd always thought comedy name tires were the cheap ones. When I bought this car to replace the c230k, my driving style changed overnight as I experimented to see how high I could get the mpg figure using the Eco mode. In the real world my old 30mpg tankfuls became at least 45mpg tankfulls. On long motorway journeys, I have got it to over 60mpg. I am now going to investigate measuring brake wear and disc thickness to see how well these are doing.
Yeah they have actually moved up. Even OEM tyres on Mercedes now from factory

Hi , My car has a Mercedes M276 with the 3.5 litre engine.

The car from new ran on Conti 5p and never achieved more than 7000 per set with tyres failing with plenty of treat on them.

I must say that the tyre company behaved honestly and gave me refunds for the failures.

My C207 is now shod with Goodyear Asi 5 and so far so good. My car is used in the Hereford / Worcester area or I might have acquired Michelin tyres.

My mate at the tyre dealer acquired brand new tyres ( year and month ) and took a couple days to arrive.

If I achieve 12000 miles I would be over the moon.
My c204 recently developed some light vibration in the steering wheel at motorway speeds, I figured that the wheels probably needed balancing as this had never been done since the car left the factory in 03/2014. I mount winter wheels for 5 or 6 months of the year so the factory summer Continentals have only covered about 25k kilometers since new, the dot no. was 11/13 on the continentals so now 10 years old. The tread depth was still a good 4mm but at the local tire shop the tech pointed out that although at first glance the tires still appeared to be in good condition on closer inspection they were in fact beginning to "chunk" and parts of the tread were starting to separate from the carcass and this was the reason for shimmy in the steering wheel at speed. I ordered 4 new Michelin Pilot sport 5 (245/40/18 92Y and 255/35/18 94Y) for what I consider a bargain price of 580 euros fitted, ( Mercedes wanted 1000 euros to fit new Continentals)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom