Tracking devices - recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sgregory124

MB Enthusiast
Car
E63S
Hi all,

Since acquiring my C63S on Friday i've been busy sorting out odds and sods for it (i.e breakdown cover etc). I now need to think about security, my car is parked on my drive overnight (no gates) in an 'ok' area, my previous cars at this house (Audi A6 Avant, A5 Black Edition and Alpina D3) have all been fine but i'm more than a little concerned about the Merc.

In years past the insurance company who I was with at the time forced me to have my old M3 fitted with one because of my age and the area I used to live in (admittedly that was back in 2006), but a tracking device wasn't queried when I took the policy out for the C63.

So just wondering what people's opinions are on them, are they worth the investment these days (beyond the potential for an insurance reduction)? If so, do 'Tracker' still make the best one (they bang on about being the only company who work with all 52 police forces etc) but there look to be a lot of alternatives (cheaper too!). Particularly interested in an S5 Deadlock type device because of the ability for the monitoring centre to be able to disable the car remotely.

Anyways - all opinions welcome, good, bad or indifferent!

Simon

doesn't mercedes me track vehicle location?

Does it? - i'm actually waiting for Mercedes to deregister my car from the previous owner before I can use it, i'm not really sure of the features?

I'm really after the best security I can get....

Does it? - i'm actually waiting for Mercedes to deregister my car from the previous owner before I can use it, i'm not really sure of the features?

It does, I am not suggesting it is a replacement for a tracker as I have no experience of them but the app doe track the location of your car.

I've got both the StopTrack and the AutoWatch Ghost on mine. Cannot fault either one and I believe the car is as un-nickable as a car can be now. £700 all in.

The key question to ask yourself is whether you would want the car back if it was stolen. Many people don’t.

Unless a tracker is a requirement of an insurance policy, many people choose a different route, either to prevent the car being taken (eg an Autowatch Ghost) and/or reduce the impact of the car having been taken (eg GAP insurance policy).

doesn't mercedes me track vehicle location?
It sure does, but its not something insurance will recognise as it doesn't do SVR (stolen vehicle recovery)

Look up smartrack sgregory124
Avoid tracker network like the plague!

The key question to ask yourself is whether you would want the car back if it was stolen. Many people don’t.

Unless a tracker is a requirement of an insurance policy, many people choose a different route, either to prevent the car being taken (eg an Autowatch Ghost) and/or reduce the impact of the car having been taken (eg GAP insurance policy).
I’m with you on that one buddy , if some chav thrashes your pride and joy through a field in low gear hold , why would you want it back :rolleyes:

It sure does, but its not something insurance will recognise as it doesn't do SVR (stolen vehicle recovery)

Look up smartrack sgregory124
Avoid tracker network like the plague!
Op has said that it is not a condition of his insurance

Hi all,

Since acquiring my C63S on Friday i've been busy sorting out odds and sods for it (i.e breakdown cover etc). I now need to think about security, my car is parked on my drive overnight (no gates) in an 'ok' area, my previous cars at this house (Audi A6 Avant, A5 Black Edition and Alpina D3) have all been fine but i'm more than a little concerned about the Merc.

In years past the insurance company who I was with at the time forced me to have my old M3 fitted with one because of my age and the area I used to live in (admittedly that was back in 2006), but a tracking device wasn't queried when I took the policy out for the C63.

So just wondering what people's opinions are on them, are they worth the investment these days (beyond the potential for an insurance reduction)? If so, do 'Tracker' still make the best one (they bang on about being the only company who work with all 52 police forces etc) but there look to be a lot of alternatives (cheaper too!). Particularly interested in an S5 Deadlock type device because of the ability for the monitoring centre to be able to disable the car remotely.

Anyways - all opinions welcome, good, bad or indifferent!

Simon
My 2017 has MB tracking. Insurance did not ask for a tracker. If you are concerned about the car getting taken, I'd go for Autowatch Ghost instead.

Complete Post Hijack,

Can you explain, the differences between the two Systems and why you chose them?

Yeah course. The StopTrack is a traditional tracker. If the car is towed away, low-loaded or nicked by any other means I can track it and StopTrack can the kill the engine remotely. I get a discount on my car insurance for having this. The Ghost is a stealth system which means it is impossible for anybody but me to start the car even if they have the keys - every time I start the car I have to punch in a secret PIN using buttons on the steering wheel. It intercepts the ignition wiring. Keyless hacking won't get past it.
Basically, to nick my car you have to waterboard me into revealing the Ghost PIN and then keep me in chains long enough to strip the tracker before I can alert StopTrack. And if you do that I have Gap insurance.
For a £50k car I think £700 for that amount of peace of mind is worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom