Turns over but doesn't start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tone capone

Car
1989 w124 300E 24 V. 1990 230e.
Hi All. I finally sorted out my fuel pump woes (dodgy aftermarket wiring) so pump comes on all the time but now have a different problem. Drove the car 3 miles to petrol station and on trying to start again it turned over but wouldn't start. Left it there overnight and started today, no problem. When I got home and tried to start again, got the same thing. Left for a few hours and then started fine. Any suggestions gratefully received. It's a 1989 W124 300e 24v.

Agree with above. Crank sensor breaking down when hot. Try proving the fault by spraying the sensor with freezer spray or compressed air when the car is not starting and see if that gets it going again.

Agree with above. Crank sensor breaking down when hot. Try proving the fault by spraying the sensor with freezer spray or compressed air when the car is not starting and see if that gets it going again.
Much appreciated folks
Have heard the cps mentioned before
Thanks for the tip about cooling it.

All that is worth a try but I have never had a CPS problem on that vintage of car. Later ones, I think.

Is your HT system in 1st class order? Nice shiny distributor internals, high quality parts (MB or Bosch/Beru and nothing else), etc. Coil not breaking down?

You mention "dodgy aftermarket wiring" so we might assume that other things have been repaired on the cheap in the past so it's best to look for all possible compromises.

Good hunting.

RayH

Also when it refuses to fire up ,,get the spark checked out . Pull a plug lead off ond pop in an old spark plug ,,then hold it by the the engine for a good earth now see if its got a spark do use a good pair of insulating pliers to do this. . Check all the fuses in the fuse box .

Yes just give those boxes a good push down ,.And in the manual it tells us to pull the relays and check the pins and in some cases even open them out a little to make sure they make a good contact .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom