Tyre Wall Failure / Dunlop 275-30-21 / Opinion ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Which Dunlop do you mean though?
Anything with the word Dunlop on it 🙂

Good point well made regarding the prostitution of the name though.

In recent years I had one set of Dunlop Sport FastResponse and three sets of Dunlop Sport BluResponse (on various cars), and had no issues with them. That said, the thread separation issue might be specific to the MAXX GT, or to a certain factory etc.

Which Dunlop do you mean though?
Dunlop as a company ceased trading when they went into administration in 1985. All Dunlop is now is a name which various companies around the world buy the rights to use and stamp on their own tyres, and the rights to use the name has been bought and sold many times since 1985 and will continue to do so.

That is correct... according to Wikipedia, The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company (whose HQ is in Akron, Ohio) owns the Dunlop brand in North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand. In other parts of the world the brand is owned by other parent companies. So, in short, the Dunlop tyres we buy in the UK are made by a subsidiary of the American Goodyear company.

So, in short, the Dunlop tyres we buy in the UK are made by a subsidiary of the American Goodyear company.

Only at this moment though. In the past the US side of Dunlop was purchased by their US management before Goodyear in turn bought them out. The tyres in the UK were made by someone completely different, as were tyres for the far east, India & Australian markets. There's no way of telling who will make them for the UK in the future as the name Dunlop is simply traded like any other commodity.

Only at this moment though. In the past the US side of Dunlop was purchased by their US management before Goodyear in turn bought them out. The tyres in the UK were made by someone completely different, as were tyres for the far east, India & Australian markets. There's no way of telling who will make them for the UK in the future as the name Dunlop is simply traded like any other commodity.

Yes, for the time being... at current Goodyear own the brands Dunlop (in parts of the world), Goodyear, Fulda, Falken and Kelly.

Read these posts with interest as on the 21/08/2018 I had 4 Dunlop tyres fitted to the E350cdi
255/35r18 94Y XL Dunlop Sport Maxx RT. Rears
235/40R18 95Y XL Dunlop Sport Maxx RT Fronts
All Date stamped (1918 ) made in Germany.
These replaced a full set of Pirelli P Zero that had become very noisy.

I have not done any major mileages on them as they were switched to Goodyear for 2018 & 2019 Winter set up ..

Following reading this article and also disturbing accounts over on the Audi Forums I had a quick look at the tyres on my car, as it was raining I gave up trying to check the inside wall on the tyres. Also there were some reports on the Jaguar forum on Dunlop Tyres .

Well as soon as Egg Bacon , Mushrooms, Toast , and OJ has gone down this morning it will be out with the trolley jack to check on the tyres , hopefully all will be fine .

STAY SAFE EVERYONE

I’ve used GoodYear Eagle F1 and Dunlop SportMaxx RT as my go to tyre on a number of cars for many years and never had a problem. I used to do about 30k miles/year in one of the cars. I’ve recently switched from the F1 to the SportMaxx RT2 as my go to as the latest F1 is quite a bit noisier in tests. I had to try Bridgestone gsd’s due to a puncture and they were terrible, especially in the wet. I also really like the Michelin Pilot when new but wear rate and noise wasn’t great, and they seemed to lose a lot of wet grip when part worn.

with any tyre it’s always worth keeping an eye - I give mine a good visual every time I clean the car and shine a torch to the inner side to check round. Something I carried over from my motorcycling and road racing (push bike).

with any tyre it’s always worth keeping an eye - I give mine a good visual every time I clean the car and shine a torch to the inner side to check round. Something I carried over from my motorcycling and road racing (push bike).
Tyres tend to be so reliable now that many are guilty of ignoring the very sound advice to give them a good visual check at least every couple of weeks. I confess that I do pay more attention to checking the tyres on my motorcycle (before every ride) than I do those on the cars.

Reactions: 219
2014 Audi A7 Black Edition, sailed through it's MOT on 11th February with 30k miles.

Less than 2 months and 2k miles later two of the inside edges of the front tyres look like this.
Tyres are dated middle of 2018, plenty of tread on them but walls are separating.

Would appreciate any expert or other opinions on these and any possible cause?

View attachment 94287

View attachment 94288
Since the car is 2014 , and the tyres dated 2018 they obviously aren't original to the car , what mileage do you think the tyres have done ? If linear across the car's six years age , probably no more than 10K ?

It does look like a fault , but mileage covered vs expected life of the tyres will possibly be taken into account in any claim . Still worth asking though .

Edit - are the rear tyres OK ? Are they the same type ( all fitted together ? )

I’ve used GoodYear Eagle F1 and Dunlop SportMaxx RT as my go to tyre on a number of cars for many years and never had a problem. I used to do about 30k miles/year in one of the cars. I’ve recently switched from the F1 to the SportMaxx RT2 as my go to as the latest F1 is quite a bit noisier in tests. I had to try Bridgestone gsd’s due to a puncture and they were terrible, especially in the wet. I also really like the Michelin Pilot when new but wear rate and noise wasn’t great, and they seemed to lose a lot of wet grip when part worn.

I had a set of Goodyear Eagles on my SL a few years back , swapped them all for Contis after my MOT garage pointed out bulges in the inner sidewalls of two of them . I had covered close to 30K on them and were still legal but approaching end of life so I didn't try claiming anything .

Since the car is 2014 , and the tyres dated 2018 they obviously aren't original to the car , what mileage do you think the tyres have done ? If linear across the car's six years age , probably no more than 10K ?

It does look like a fault , but mileage covered vs expected life of the tyres will possibly be taken into account in any claim . Still worth asking though .

Edit - are the rear tyres OK ? Are they the same type ( all fitted together ? )

Tyres look like they have only done perhaps 5k miles at most.
Saying that though after some research it seems these tyres suffer from premature wear and failure with many wearing after only a couple of thousand miles.

There are Contintals on the rear axle and these are fine, just normal wear with no cracking.

Reactions: 219
Tyres look like they have only done perhaps 5k miles at most.
Saying that though after some research it seems these tyres suffer from premature wear and failure with many wearing after only a couple of thousand miles.

There are Contintals on the rear axle and these are fine, just normal wear with no cracking.
Just a thought , can you tie in MOT mileages , service records against the age of the tyres , indeed do you have a receipt showing when they were fitted , which with the other records would prove the low mileage on them and assist with any claim ?

Just a thought , can you tie in MOT mileages , service records against the age of the tyres , indeed do you have a receipt showing when they were fitted , which with the other records would prove the low mileage on them and assist with any claim ?

No, already thought of that.
Thought we could maybe check MOT fails or advisories but it is immaculate with none.
My guess is the Audi servicing garage has done the work prior to the MOT as the car was owned by a very high ranking police officer.
Of course all the service receipts are gone so no way to know how many times the tyres have been changed now.

No, already thought of that.
Thought we could maybe check MOT fails or advisories but it is immaculate with none.
My guess is the Audi servicing garage has done the work prior to the MOT as the car was owned by a very high ranking police officer.
Of course all the service receipts are gone so no way to know how many times the tyres have been changed now.
Ah , well all you can go on is the date stamp on the tyres , so they could not have been fitted any earlier than that , if you get the mileages from MOT history then you can show the mileage at the earliest possible date the tyres could have been fitted , and quite likely done just before the MOT after the tyre manufacturing date ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom