UK drivers warned to display clean air stickers in French cities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)

UK travellers driving to France are being warned they need to display a clean air sticker in their car to enter several cities, including Paris.

The rules for the stickers apply in 12 French cities or regions, including Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Montpellier, Bordeaux, Toulouse and Aix-Marseille-Provence.
According to RAC, Paris is the strictest city, only permitting cars displaying the Crit'Air '0', '1' or '2' stickers to use certain roads at certain times, followed by the Aix-Marseille-Provence region, Toulouse and Reims which allow the Crit'Air '0', '1', '2' or '3' vignettes.
Those driving in a low emissions zone and not complying with local regulations - either by not displaying a sticker or driving a car that is too polluting - could be fined €68 (£59), which rises to €180 (£155) if not paid within 45 days.
Camera-based enforcement is expected to begin next year, and maximum fines will increase to €750 (£646).

Not all vehicles are eligible under the scheme, including cars registered before January 1997 and motorbikes and scooters registered before June 2000. These cannot be driven at all where the restrictions apply.

UK travellers driving to France are being warned they need to display a clean air sticker in their car to enter several cities, including Paris.

The rules for the stickers apply in 12 French cities or regions, including Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Montpellier, Bordeaux, Toulouse and Aix-Marseille-Provence.
According to RAC, Paris is the strictest city, only permitting cars displaying the Crit'Air '0', '1' or '2' stickers to use certain roads at certain times, followed by the Aix-Marseille-Provence region, Toulouse and Reims which allow the Crit'Air '0', '1', '2' or '3' vignettes.
Those driving in a low emissions zone and not complying with local regulations - either by not displaying a sticker or driving a car that is too polluting - could be fined €68 (£59), which rises to €180 (£155) if not paid within 45 days.
Camera-based enforcement is expected to begin next year, and maximum fines will increase to €750 (£646).

Not all vehicles are eligible under the scheme, including cars registered before January 1997 and motorbikes and scooters registered before June 2000. These cannot be driven at all where the restrictions apply.
I bought one for the Alfa ahead of our Euro tour last year just in case we ventured off course. Was only a couple of quid and came in less than a week. Plus it embues the Alfa with a bit of extra continental panache...Ive not needed one for the S212 as we haven't ventured that near France in it recently.

Remember that you don’t need these if you just skirt Paris, Lyon, Marseille etc. It’s only if you choose to drive in.

By skirting Paris and Lyon, you’ll also save your sanity AND keep their air cleaner

I had a look at the French government website where you apply for the Crit’Air sticker and it has a checker that tells you which version you will receive for your vehicle.

So I entered the details of my 2022 Euro 5 K1600GT motorcycle and it says it doesn’t qualify for a sticker at all. Odd, thought I, because I’d successfully applied for and received a “1” sticker for my previous 2019 Euro 4 bike back in 2019.

A bit of further research revealed that the site won’t allow you to apply for a sticker for a Euro 5 motorcycle at all as it “thinks” the highest standard for bikes is Euro 4. However, if you go through the actual application process and leave the emissions classification blank - then you get issued with the “1” sticker 🙄

Don’t you just love French bureaucracy?

Le périphérique, what an experience!
I remember going on that when we were kids on our way south south.

My dad would be driving with a B&H on the go and my asthmatic mum and bro coughing their guts up.

The cars we went down in were a Jag XJC, a very early P Reg Cavaliet, a T plate Mitsubishi Sapporo and a couple of Mk4 Cortina 2.0 Ghia’s. One holiday I didn’t go on my dad had a MK1 Astra GTE.

I remember going on that when we were kids on our way south south.

My dad would be driving with a B&H on the go and my asthmatic mum and bro coughing their guts up.

The cars we went down in were a Jag XJC, a very early P Reg Cavaliet, a T plate Mitsubishi Sapporo and a couple of Mk4 Cortina 2.0 Ghia’s. One holiday I didn’t go on my dad had a MK1 Astra GTE.
Ooh XJC! 👍

Yes! It was a lovely blue 1975 V12. My mum was driving it when it was hit by a Volvo on a roundabout near Hendon Central which wrote it off.

Weirdly the daughter of the driver was in my class at school!!
Booooo!

Tell me about it. The replacement was a bloody MK1 Vauxhall Cavalier. ☹️

Later on in the mid 80’s those Jags were worthless. Drive around any council estate in north London and you’d see loads of them.

Later on in the mid 80’s those Jags were worthless. Drive around any council estate in north London and you’d see loads of them.
Mainly because they were running on 7 out of 12 cylinders.

I think I still have Classic and Sportscar mag from the 90’s that had a red one on the cover. 👍

I think I still have Classic and Sportscar mag from the 90’s that had a red one on the cover. 👍
🥰🥰 My fave mag as well. I started buying it in the mid 80’s.

Mainly because they were running on 7 out of 12 cylinders.
No idea why but a lad in my college class used to bring his dads old XJ6 in sometimes and I do remember him saying they called it an XJ5 due to the number of cylinders it was firing on.

The Crit'Air stickers were probably introduced to offset all of the $hit that went up in the air in numerous French cities when protesters against Napoleon Macrons policies set fire to all those vehicles and businesses .

Maybe :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom