Updating sat nav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tonyze

Car
c-class
Is it possible to DIY update my sat nav on the following car:
2016 C220d Estate S205 VIN:- WDD205 Engine code OM651
I think it’s this sat nav system. Well it’s an SD-Card in the storage compartment box between the front seats.
Sat nav:- Garmin Map Pilot navigation on SD-Card
All the best. Tony

Is it possible to DIY update my sat nav on the following car:
2016 C220d Estate S205 VIN:- WDD205 Engine code OM651
I think it’s this sat nav system. Well it’s an SD-Card in the storage compartment box between the front seats.
Sat nav:- Garmin Map Pilot navigation on SD-Card
All the best. Tony
You can update the software with " Mercedes Download Manager ". But you cannot update the Maps. You need an UPDATE SD card from main dealer at £99 This will allow free map updates for six months.

You can update the software with " Mercedes Download Manager ". But you cannot update the Maps. You need an UPDATE SD card from main dealer at £99 This will allow free map updates for six months.
Thanks. Appreciate the reply. Will think about it. My iPhone has an excellent free sat nav system. Don’t know if I want to part with that amount just for a few new roads.

The update SD Card is available for less from the likes of eBay, but buy at your own risk... if you do decide to update the maps, the dealer is the safest route.

Hi all.
I have just acquired a 62 plate c220 amg sport cdi blue efficiency.
I have an sd card slot, I was told it has another type of sat nav, can't remember what it was called.
My questions are.
1, how do I find out what maps I have.
2, having read a few threads there seems to be variations in the comand system.
3, where is the best place to get the update from.

Anything else anyone can add to this in way of help then please help.

1. Step by step guide to ascertain what version Sat Nav you currently have installed. (Command Online)

1. Bring Sat Nav up on your display and toggle across to Navigation settings. (The wheel symbol far left bottom row) press to bring up options.
  2. Scroll down to Map Content, press to bring up options.
  3. Scroll down to Map Version, press to bring up details.

2. You most likely have NTG4.5

3. Your MB dealership can do the update for you. Some are doing it for £99 at the moment.
Or you can buy an SD card and PIN from eBay. I bought this one last week for £89 and another member talked them down to £80. It was easy and all worked for me, I’ve yet to hear how the other guy got on. If you go down this easy route leave the engine running or the battery on charge (as I did) to avoid the risk of the update dropping out part way through the 60 to 90 minutes you leave it to do its thing.

V19.0 seems to be the latest available. I fear this may be the last one that MB do for this model, because it hasn’t been updated for nearly two years.

1. Step by step guide to ascertain what version Sat Nav you currently have installed. (Command Online)

1. Bring Sat Nav up on your display and toggle across to Navigation settings. (The wheel symbol far left bottom row) press to bring up options.

3. Your MB dealership can do the update for you. Some are doing it for £99 at the moment.
Or you can buy an SD card and PIN from eBay. I bought this one last week for £89 and another member talked them down to £80. It was easy and all worked for me, I’ve yet to hear how the other guy got on. If you go down this easy route leave the engine running or the battery on charge (as I did) to avoid the risk of the update dropping out part way through the 60 to 90 minutes you leave it to do its thing.

V19.0 seems to be the latest available. I fear this may be the last one that MB do for this model, because it hasn’t been updated for nearly two years.

2. Correct, this will be COMAND Online NTG4.5 Gen2. It can connect to the Internet via an Android phone (Internet connection via iPhone was introduced with NTG4.5 Gen3 aka NTG4.7, so not available with NTG4.5 Gen1 & Gen2).

3. The dealer install is a pain because they want the car for the day, eBay PIN codes are easier because you can do the maps update yourself while driving the car. However, some eBay PIN codes are 'unofficial', i.e. they are not generated by Mercedes-Benz, and therefore not showing on the car's VeDOC. This means that if the car is serviced by the dealer, they might spot that it is not actually licensed for the version of the maps installed. That said, (a) if the car isn't serviced by a dealer then it's irrelevant anyway, (b) even if it is serviced by a dealer, this is not to say that the dealer will actually check the maps version (it's on the service checklist, but who knows) and (c) even if they do check, I have no idea if they will actually raise it or if there's anything they can practically do about it (it's your car, after all, not there's).

One more point to mention: a 62-reg car will sadly not have live traffic information, because this feature (TomTom Live Traffic subscription) was only introduced in mid-2013, and can't be retrofitted. Which means that if you regularly drive around city centres and other congested areas, COMAND might not be the best solution for you, because the free TMC service only covers main routes e.g. Motorways and some A roads.

One more point to mention: a 62-reg car will sadly not have live traffic information, because this feature (TomTom Live Traffic subscription) was only introduced in mid-2013, and can't be retrofitted. Which means that if you regularly drive around city centres and other congested areas, COMAND might not be the best solution for you, because the free TMC service only covers main routes e.g. Motorways and some A roads.
As you mentioned, TMC (Traffic Message Channel) does have the advantage of being free. I've not been aware of TMC not being available in city centres. It often comes up in Peterborough (my nearest and most visited city) and I'm pretty sure it redirected me in London when I was most recently there last September.

Just updated our 2011 Becker Map Pilot. I appreciate it's older tech now, but it sounds like so the newer/better versions aren't that much improved. Why can't manufacturers keep up with map guidance technology?

Do newer Mercedes have options for Android Auto and CarPlay?

Just updated our 2011 Becker Map Pilot. I appreciate it's older tech now, but it sounds like so the newer/better versions aren't that much improved. Why can't manufacturers keep up with map guidance technology?

Do newer Mercedes have options for Android Auto and CarPlay?
Yes they do.

Your 2011 W204 facelift will have the Audio20 NTG4.5 infotainment unit with the optional Becker Map Pilot navigation module.

This is the Apple CarPlay / Android Auto upgrade for it:

Your 2011 W204 facelift will have the Audio20 NTG4.5 infotainment unit with the optional Becker Map Pilot navigation module.

This is the Apple CarPlay / Android Auto upgrade for it:
That's pretty cool. A bit pricey for the convenience, but interesting nonetheless. Is it a software or hardware upgrade?

That's pretty cool. A bit pricey for the convenience, but interesting nonetheless. Is it a software or hardware upgrade?

It's an additional hardware device that connects to the Audio20 unit via the Aux port.

It's an additional hardware box that connects to the Audio20 unit via the Aux port.
I have wondered whether it might be possible to reverse-engineer the Becker. I think it's just a Linux box with a bespoke interface.

I am guessing that the Apple CarPlay unit is a Raspberry Pi box, but I am not sure.

No idea re meddling with the BMP.

Looked on my navi system and I dint have a settings icon.
Looked all through the menu options and not there.
Mind you I don't have an sd card either, so that might be why.
The map version I have is 2012/2013 v7.0 europe

Looked on my navi system and I dint have a settings icon.
Looked all through the menu options and not there.
Mind you I don't have an sd card either, so that might be why.
The map version I have is 2012/2013 v7.0 europe

What year is your 'C220 amg sport blue efficiency'?

I am guessing 2013?

If so then it's a W204 facelift and you have COMAND Online NTG4.5 Gen2.

The latest maps version is 2019/2020 v19.0 released in October 2019.

What year is your 'C220 amg sport blue efficiency'?

I am guessing 2013?

If so then it's a W204 facelift and you have COMAND Online NTG4.5 Gen2.

The latest maps version is 2019/2020 v19.0 released in October 2019.
It is a 62 plate 2013.
Thanks for info.
Mercedes want £120 plus labour for a new sd card and update

It is a 62 plate 2013.
Thanks for info.
Mercedes want £120 plus labour for a new sd card and update
When you start the car, does the display say 'Don't let COMAND distract you...', or 'Don't let the SYSTEM distract you...'?

If the former, you have COMAND.

If the latter, you have Audio20.

Make sure the dealer quoted you for the correct system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom